A cosmopolitan city of Kerala with bustling commercial port onto the tropical Malabar Coast, Kochi (Cochin), is said to be the financial capital of Kerala. The cultural heritage of this city is a unique blend of medieval Portugal, Holland and English. It is one of the best places to see Kathakali and kalarippayat. Often referred to as the Gateway of Kerala, ideally, it should be the first destination while exploring the unfathomable diversity and beauty of Kerala. Here’re the best five places to visit in Kochi:
- The oldest existing Synagogue, Paradesi Synagogue is over hundred years old housing numerous rare antiques.
- The large main hall inside the synagogue is filled with antiques that are sure to leave you mesmerized.
- Chinese Fishing nets are the major attraction of Fort Kochi enthralling visitors from across the world. It is said that these Chinese fishing nets were a gift from the famous Chinese King, Kublai Khan.
- Indulge yourself in an array of beach activities including boat cruise, beach walk, fishing, sunbathing, sand castles building, dolphin sighting, and swimming once you’re here.
- After a whole day spent strolling, end your day with beautiful Kathakali performances at the Kerala Kathakali Centre which is located in the close vicinity of Fort Kochi.
Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary
- Located at the Central Cochin, Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary is a paradise for bird lovers.
- This bird sanctuary is a natural habitat to many endangered and regular species of local and migratory birds as well as mangrove vegetation.
- You might get a chance to spot redshank, greenshank, brahminy kite, white breasted water hen and marsh sandpiper among other rare birds if you’re really lucky.
- Folklore museum puts to display the best cultural exhibits and folk-tribal objects of the state.
- Explore the traditional Kathakali masks, costumes, sculptures, musical instruments, ornaments, and utensils which belong to the historic stone age while in the museum.
- One of the most pristine and tranquil beaches of Cochin, Cherai Beach is quite an interesting beach offering breathtaking views and serene atmosphere.
- Located at the Vypin Island, this beach is away from city noises. Get a chance to explore the backwater, fishing nets, thick coconut grooves and paddy fields here at Cherai Beach.
Apart from the above best five places to visit in Kochi, there are some more interesting places to see in Kochi, which we shall cover in the next article.
Recommended reading : Places to visit in Munnar