Better known as “King of Romance”, “King Khan” and “Badshah of Bollywood”, this actor has indeed given his heart and soul to the Film industry. Setting a benchmark in the field of romance, Shahrukh Khan, without a doubt is a heartthrob even after crossing 50. Bagging 14 Filmfare awards, SRK has been named as the most successful actor in the world in terms of both fan following and income.
- Khan began his acting career from television series in the late 1980s. His first debut film, Deewana, established him as a villain. In Darr, Baazigar, and Anjana he had portrayed a badman but it was from Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaengy (DDLJ) he stole hearts with those oh-so-romantic lines. There was no looking back and today, he is the ‘King of Romance’.
- In 1994, Shah Rukh sold tickets at the booking window of a Mumbai theatre on the opening day of his film, Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa, directed by Kundan Shah and he was paid only Rs 25,000 for that film.
- In 1998, his college, Hans Raj celebrated its golden jubilee. The college gave 17 shields to its alumni who had received excellence in their lives, and Shah Rukh was one of them.
- He got his first salary of rupees 50 which he earned by working as an attendant at a Pankaj Udhas concert in Delhi. By that money, he took the train of Agra to see the Taj Mahal.
Shah Rukh Khan makes sure his sleeping pyjamas are properly ironed every night. When asked about this, he says, “You never know who will meet you in dreams.”
- He is superstitious and believes that the right numbers bring him good luck. The number of plates of most of his cars reads 555.
- He had received his first Filmfare Award for Best Actor for the impeccable role in Baazigar. Chennai Express, Dilwale and Happy New Year are among King Khan’s highest-earning films.
- The Badshah has his own production company named ‘Red Chillies’, owns an IPL (Indian Premier League) team – Kolkata Knight Rider and is also West Bengal’s Brand Ambassador.
- It’s been more than 1000 weeks when DDLJ was released. It was stated to be “all time blockbuster” by Box Office India, with a gross of over ₹1.22 billion (US$19 million) worldwide and the longest-running film which is still shown at the Maratha Mandir theatre.
- Shah Rukh was awarded Padma Shri in 2005. Order des Arts et des Lettres in 2007 and Legion d’honneur in 2014 by the Government of France. In 2011, UNESCO honored him with Pyramide con Marni award for being a helping hand towards children’s education. He is often looked upon as one of the most influential people.
- The superstar received the degree of Doctor Honoris Causa from the University Chancellor HRH Princess Royal in Edinburgh in recognition of his outstanding record of philanthropy, altruism and humanitarianism and his global reach as an actor.
- Recently, Forbes stated him as the 8th highest paid actor in the world and the highest paid in India.