Lala Lajpat Rai Interesting Facts: Some facts about the Punjab Kesari and his Biography
Lala Lajpat Rai Interesting Facts – Lala Lajpat Rai was an Indian freedom fighter who was born on 28 January 1865. He played a vital role in the independence of India. He was famous as Punjab Kesari. In 1894, he was associated with activities of Punjab National Bank and Lakshmi Insurance Company. On the occasion of Lala Lajpat Rai birth anniversary, we are sharing some details on Lala Lajpat Rai birth, facts, and biography.
Lala Lajpat Rai birth, facts and biography – Lala Lajpat Rai Interesting Facts
Born and education
Lajpat Rai was born on 28 January 1865 in Punjab to Munshi Radha Krishan Agrawal and Gulab Devi Agrawal. He married Radha Devi Agrawal in 1877 and the couple had two sons and a daughter.
He completed his education in Government Higher Secondary School, Rewari, Haryana. In 1880, Lajpat Rai joined Government College at Lahore to study Law, where he came in contact with Lala Hans Raj and Pandit Guru Dutt.
Do Read: Best Speeches of Jawaharlal Nehru
Politics and Independence
- While studying at Lahore he became a member of Arya Samaj Lahore. He also became the founder-editor of Arya Gazette which was based in Lahore. When studying law, he became a firm believer in the idea that Hinduism, above nationality, was the pivotal point upon which an Indian lifestyle must be based.
- In 1884, his father was transferred to Rohtak and later in 1886 to Hisar where he started his law practice. Since childhood, he always had a desire to serve his country and therefore, he took a pledge to free the country from Britishers.
- In 1892, he moved to Lahore to practice in the Lahore High Court. To shape the political policy of India to gain independence, he also practiced journalism and was a regular contributor to several newspapers including The Tribune.
Lala Lajpat Rai Interesting Facts
- In 1914, he quit law practice and dedicated himself to the freedom of India. In the same year, he went to Britain.
- He moved to the United States in 1917 and stayed there till 1920.
- He prepared a 32-page petition which was discussed in the U.S. Senate in October 1917. The book discussed the notion of “color-caste”.
- During World War I, Lajpat was imprisoned from 1921 to 1923 and elected to the legislative assembly on his release.
Must Read: Timeline of Indian Freedom Struggle
Lala Lajpat Rai Death – Lala Lajpat Rai Interesting Facts
On 30 October 1928, he participated in a huge demonstration organized against the Simon Commission in Lahore, during which he was badly injured in the lathi-charge. Lala Lajpat Rai died on 17 November 1928 because of severe injuries. Freedom fighter, Bhagat Singh did not witness the event, but considered it a murder. In order to take revenge, Bhagat Singh joined other revolutionaries, Shivaram Rajguru, Sukhdev Thapar, and Chandrashekhar Azad, and planned to kill Scott who had ordered the lathi-charge. Just one month after the assassination of their beloved leader, Bhagat Singh along with Lalaji, Rajguru, Sukhdev on 17 December 1928 in a planned attach for Scott mistakenly killed Saunders.
Do Read: Interesting facts of Shaheed Bhagat Singh
For more articles like, “Lala Lajpat Rai Interesting Facts”, do follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. For watching our collection of videos, follow us on YouTube.