India’s various religions, norms, and cultures make it an incredible country. There are various gigantic statues and structures that speak volumes about the pace of development and growth taking place in India. Let’s take you on a virtual tour to some of the tallest statues of India.
Statue of Unity, Gujarat
- Statue of unity is the world’s tallest statue of Indian Statesman Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in the Indian state of Gujarat.
- The total height of the statue is 182 meters (597 ft) with a base of 240 meters (790 ft).
- Iron that is used in the statue was collected through the “Loha” campaign and converted into a reinforcing bar, for the foundation of the Statue.
- The statue is designed by Ram V. Sutar and can withstand wind velocity, vibration and earthquake.
Veera Abhaya Anjaneya Hanuman Swami, Andhra Pradesh
- Veera Abhaya Anjaneya Hanuman Swami Statue is the world’s tallest statue dedicated to Lord Hanuman.
- It is located in Paritala Anjaneya Temple in the village of Paritala, Andhra Pradesh.
- This Hanuman statue was set up in the year 2003 and is 41 meters (135 feet) tall.
Thiruvalluvar Statue, Tamil Nadu
- Thiruvalluvar Statue is a 133-feet (40.6 m) tall statue of the Tamil poet and philosopher Valluvar, hence, also known as Valluvar Statue.
- The statue was created by the Indian sculptor V. Ganapati Sthapati and was unveiled on 1 January 2000 by the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, M. Karunanidhi.
- This spectacular statue is located at the top of a small Island near Kanyakumari on the Coromandel Coast.
More about the tallest statues of India
Tathagata Tsal, Sikkim
- Tathagata Tsal aka Buddha Park of Ravangla was set up by the 14th Dalai Lama on 25 March 2013.
- The gigantic statue of the Buddha is situated in Rabong Monastery in south Sikkim and is 40m (130 ft) tall.
- There is a main temple beneath the statue of Lord Buddha and a museum which depicts the history and life of Lord Buddha.
Dhyana Buddha Statue, Andhra Pradesh
- Dhyana Buddha statue is situated in Amaravati in Andhra Pradesh, India.
- The Dhyana Buddha statue stands 125 ft (38 m) tall and was completed in 2015.
- There is a museum in the basement consisting of various Buddhist sculptures and other Buddhist depictions.
Also read: Top 10 magnificent road bridges in India
Statue of Padmasambhava, Himachal Pradesh
- The huge idol of Lord Padmasambhava also known as Guru Rinpoche in Tibet is located in Rewalsar in Himachal Pradesh which is 123 feet tall.
- Lord Padmasambhava statue, Namdroling Monastery, and Padmasambhava temple are all together in Rewalsar.
Shiva of Murudeshwara, Karnataka
- The Shiva of Murudeshwara is the second biggest statue of Lord Shiva in the world which is 123 ft. tall and the first is in Nepal.
- The statue is connected with a temple located on the beach in Murudeshwara town in Bhatkal Taluq in Karnataka.
- Shiva of Murudeshwara was commissioned by philanthropist Mr R.N. Shetty and was sculpted by a team led by Shivamogga’s Kashinath.