Want to know about all the presidents of India till date?
The president of a country is an important figure in the governance of a country. The president is the commander-in-chief of the Indian Armed Forces and is the head of the state.
All the presidents of India till date:
Ram Nath Kovind:
- Incumbent President (2017- )
- He is the fourteenth President of the country, who took his presidential responsibilities on July 25th, 2017.
- Before taking over the responsibilities as the president he was the 35th Governor of Bihar.
- He has also practiced as a lawyer at the Delhi high court until 1993.
- The term of Presidency: July 25, 2012, to July 25, 2017
- He was the finance minister of India (from 2009 to 2012) before he took over as the President.
- He is one of the most respected presidents based on some of the groundbreaking decisions he took despite Bhartiya Janata Party being in the Center his political affiliations being with Indian National Congress.
- The term of Presidency: July 25, 2007, to July 25, 2012
- Madam Patil was the first and only Lady President, India has had till date.
- Apart from being the first Lady President, she was also the first Lady Governor of Rajasthan, India before being elected as the president.
Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 2002 to July 25th, 2007.
- APJ Abdul Kalam was a Bharat Ratna awardee and a highly dignified president, who was well-known among the Indian youth.
- He was also known as the ‘Missile Man’ for his commendable contribution to the nuclear missile program of India.
- He was the Chief Scientific Advisor of Prime Minister of India before taking over his responsibilities as the President.
Kocheril Raman Narayanan
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 1997 to July 25th, 2002.
- He was also known as the “the best diplomat of the country”.
- He was the first Dalit President of the country and has been India’s ambassador to countries like Japan, USA, China, etc.
Must Read: Interesting facts about Narendra Modi
Shankar Dayal Sharma
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 1992 to July 25th, 1997
- Before taking over his presidential responsibility, he was the Chief Minister of Bhopal (from 1952 to 1956).
- He has also served as the cabinet minister of the country many times.
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 1987 to July 25th, 1992
- He was a freedom fighter who was elected as the member of Lok Sabha four times.
- He has also been the Finance Minister and Defence Minister of the country before he was elected as the President of India.
Giani Zail Singh
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 1982 to July 25th, 1987
- An eminent Politician, he has been the Home Minister of the country before he took his Presidential responsibilities.
- His Presidential tenure has been controversial as the assignation of Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India and anti- Sikh riots (1984) took place during that time.
Neelam Sanjiva Reddy
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 1977 to July 25th, 1982
- He has served as the Union Minister of India and was the first Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh.
- He has also been a prominent freedom fighter of the country.
Must Read: Aruna Roy: A Political and Social activist
Basappa Danappa Jatti
- He was an acting president from February 11, 1977, to July 25, 1977.
- He took the Presidential responsibilities after Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed (then President) died in office.
Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed
- The term of Presidency: August 24th, 1974 to February 11th, 1977
- His Presidential tenure was also controversial as during that time many rights and freedom that press earlier enjoyed were denied.
Varahagiri Venkata Giri
- The term of Presidency: August 24th, 1969 to August 24th, 1974
- V V Giri has served as the Governor of three states of India, Uttar Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka.
- He was earlier the Vice President of the country before he was elected as the President of India in 1969.
- He was the acting president of India from July 20th, 1969 to August 24th, 1969.
- Prior to taking over the office he had been a jurist and served as the Chief Justice of the country from 1968 to 1980.
V V Giri
- He has served as an acting president from May 3rd, 1969 to July 20th, 1969.
- Took the presidential responsibilities after the demise of President Zakir Husain.
- Resigned from the post to be able to nominate himself in the upcoming presidential elections.
- The term of Presidency: May 13th, 1967 to May 3rd, 1969.
- A Bharat Ratna recipient in 1963, he has been the first Muslim president of the country.
- He was also the Vice Chancellor of the Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh and co-founder of Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi.
- The term of Presidency: May 14th, 1962 to May 13th, 1967
- He was a scholar, philosopher, author and a great teacher.
- He has been a recipient of many honorary awards like the Bharat Ratna award in 1954 and was knighted in 1931.
- The term of Presidency: January 26th, 1950 to May 12th, 1962
- He was the first elected president of India.
- He has also been a prominent freedom fighter and was the only president to have been elected as the President of India for two consecutive terms.
For more details on the presidents of India till date and related updates, like and subscribe to tentaran.com.