The president of India is the highest constitutional post in the country. The President of India is the first citizen of India as also the commander-in-chief all the three Indian Armed Forces; the Army, Navy and the Indian Air Force. Till date, there have been 14 Presidents of India with three Acting Presidents. We bring you a complete list of Presidents of India till date.
List of Presidents of India till date
Ram Nath Kovind (14th President of India)
- Incumbent President (2017- )
- He is the fourteenth President of the country, who took his presidential responsibilities on July 25th, 2017.
- Before taking over the responsibilities as the president he was the 35th Governor of Bihar.
- He also practised as a lawyer at the Delhi high court until 1993.
Pranab Mukherjee (13th President of India)
- The term of Presidency: July 25, 2012, to July 25, 2017
- He was the finance minister of India (from 2009 to 2012) before he took over as the President.
- He held various positions in the Cabinet Ministry including being the Foreign Minister, Finance Minister, Defence Minister and Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission.
Dr Pratibha Patil (12th President of India)
- The term of Presidency: July 25, 2007, to July 25, 2012
- Madam Patil was the first and only Lady President, India has had till date.
- Apart from being the first Lady President, she was also the first Lady Governor of Rajasthan.
Dr Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam (11th President of India)
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 2002 to July 25th, 2007.
- APJ Abdul Kalam was a Bharat Ratna awardee and a highly dignified president, who connected well with the Indian youth.
- He was also known as the ‘Missile Man’ for his commendable contribution to the nuclear missile program of India.
- He also served as the Chief Scientific Advisor of Prime Minister of India before taking over his responsibilities as the President.
Dr Kocheril Raman Narayanan (10th President of India)
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 1997 to July 25th, 2002.
- He was also known as the “the best diplomat of the country”.
- He was the first Dalit President of the country and was India’s ambassador to many countries like Japan, USA, China, etc.
Must Read: Interesting facts about Narendra Modi
Dr Shankar Dayal Sharma (9th President of India)
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 1992 to July 25th, 1997
- Before taking over his presidential responsibility, he also served as the Chief Minister of Bhopal (from 1952 to 1956).
- He has also served as the Vice President of India.
Ramaswamy Venkataraman (8th President of India)
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 1987 to July 25th, 1992
- He was a freedom fighter who was elected as the member of Lok Sabha four times.
- He has also been the Finance Minister and Defence Minister of the country before being elected as the President of India.
Giani Zail Singh (7th President of India)
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 1982 to July 25th, 1987
- An eminent Politician, he had also served as Chief Minister of Punjab and the Union Home Minister before being elected as the President.
- Assignation of Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India and anti- Sikh riots (1984) took place during his tenure.
Neelam Sanjiva Reddy (6th President of India)
- The term of Presidency: July 25th, 1977 to July 25th, 1982
- He served as the Union Minister of India and was the first Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh.
- He has also been a prominent freedom fighter of the country.
Must Read: Aruna Roy: A Political and Social activist
Basappa Danappa Jatti (Acting President)
- He was an Acting president from February 11, 1977, to July 25, 1977.
- He took the Presidential responsibilities after Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed (then President) died in office.
Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed (5th President of India)
- The term of Presidency: August 24th, 1974 to February 11th, 1977
- He died during his term as the President. He was also the President during ‘Emergency’ in India.
- Served as a Minister before being elected as the President.
Varahagiri Venkata Giri (4th President of India)
- The term of Presidency: August 24th, 1969 to August 24th, 1974
- V V Giri also served as the Governor of three states of India, Uttar Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka.
- He was also the Vice President of India during the presidentship of Dr Zakir Husain.
Mohammad Hidayatullah (Acting President)
- He was the Acting President of India from July 20th, 1969 to August 24th, 1969.
- Prior to taking over the office, he was the Chief Justice of India and also a recipient of the Order of the British Empire.
Sh Varahagiri Venkata Giri (Acting President)
- He served as an Acting President from May 3rd, 1969 to July 20th, 1969.
- Took the presidential responsibilities after the sudden demise of President Zakir Husain.
- Resigned from the post to contest in the presidential elections.
Dr Zakir Husain (3rd President of India)
- The term of Presidency: May 13th, 1967 to May 3rd, 1969.
- A Bharat Ratna recipient in 1963, he was the first Muslim President of the country.
- He was also the Vice Chancellor of the Aligarh Muslim University and co-founder of Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi.
Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (2nd President of India)
- The term of Presidency: May 13th, 1962 to May 13th, 1967
- He was a scholar, philosopher, author and a great teacher.
- He has been a recipient of many honorary awards like the Bharat Ratna award in 1954 and was knighted in 1931.
Dr Rajendra Prasad (1st President of India)
- The term of Presidency: January 26th, 1950 to May 13th, 1962
- He was the first elected President of India.
- He has also been a prominent freedom fighter and was the only president to have been elected as the President of India for two consecutive terms.