Here is the Mahamrityunjaya mantra meaning paath in Hindi and English. Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is one of the oldest mantras of the Vedas. A mantra is a sacred utterance or group of words in Sanskrit believed by practitioners to have spiritual powers. The Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is identified with the Rudra avatar of Lord Shiva. We bring you Mahamrityunjaya mantra meaning and paath in Hindi and English. Also, read Mahamrityunjaya mantra meaning in hindi and english or om tryambakam meaning hindi and english.
In-depth about the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra: How to do mahamrityunjaya paath
- The word Maha Mrityunjaya is the unification of three Hindi words ‘Maha’ means great, ‘Mrityun’ means death and ‘Jaya’ is the victory. In total it means ‘the one who gains victory over death’.
- According to Hindu mythology, the mantra is also known as Mrita-Sanjivani mantra because of its “life-restoring” powers.
- Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is mentioned in Shiv Purana, ancient Hindu literature.
- Shiva Purana also mentions the strictness that must be followed while chanting Mahamrityunjaya Mantra. Remember, this mantra must be hymned with purity, devotion, faith, and sincerity. The best time to chant this mantra is during the early hours of the morning.
- There is a proper procedure that must be followed to chant this mantra. One must sit relaxed, with eyes closed while concentrating on the third eye, an area that lies between the two eyes, and then chant the Mantra.
- It is believed that concentrating on the third eye helps us gain positivity and improves concentration. It helps us experience ecstasy and brings peace and contentment to our lives.
Must Read: Why Shiva performed Tandava
Scroll down to read Maha mrityunjaya mantra meaning paath in Hindi and English
Maha mrityunjaya mantra hindi lyrics – om tryambakam mantra lyrics in hindi
ॐ त्र्यम्बकं यजामहे सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्धनम्।
उर्वारुकमिव बन्धनान् मृत्योर्मुक्षीय मामृतात्॥
Maha mrityunjaya mantra english lyrics – om tryambakam mantra lyrics in english
Om tryambakam yajamahe sugandhim pushti vardhanam
Urvarukamiva bandhanan mrityormukshiya maamritat
Click here to read Mahamrityunjaya Mantra meaning in Hindi and English
Also read: Shiv aarti – Om Jai Shiv Omkara
Mahamrityunjaya mantra meaning paath
Mahamrityunjaya Mantra story
There are two legends/stories behind the revelation of the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra:
The first version tells that this mantra was only known by Rishi Markendeya, who was given the boon of this mantra by Lord Shiva. When Moon was cursed by King Daksha and he was about to die, Daksha’s daughter Sati approached Rishi Markandeya and requested him to save Lord Moon. He then gave this mantra to Sati.
According to another theory, Lord Shiva shared this mantra with Rishi Shukracharya, who later taught this to Sage Dadhichi. Sage Dadhichi then passed on this mantra to King Kshuva, through whom the Maha mrityunjaya Mantra reached Shiv Purana.
Lord Shiva is believed to be the truth and the only one. He is the cosmos, the Universe itself – opening the portals to the multiverse. So recite the Maha mrityunjaya Mantra and see how it benefits your life.
We are sure you would also love to read about the major Shiva temples in India
Recommended reading: Murudeshwara temple: World’s second highest statue of Lord Shiva