Major Dhyan Chand biography and facts: How Major Dhyanchand became a hockey wizard
Read Major Dhyan Chand biography. Also, know some interesting facts about Dhyan Chand. Major Dhyanchand was born on 29 August 1905 in Allahabad to Sharadha Singh and Sameshwar Singh. Dhyan Chand had two brothers – Mool Singh and Roop Singh. Dhyan Chand was a former player and captain of the Indian hockey team. Dhyanchand completed his graduation from Victoria College, Gwalior in 1932. He won gold medals at Amsterdam Olympics in 1928, the Los Angeles Olympics in 1932, and the Berlin Olympics in 1936. When he passed away on 3 December 1979, two hockey sticks were placed on his body in a crossed position. The magic that Dhyan Chand showed on the field is recorded in history even today. Know how Major Dhyanchand became a hockey wizard in Major Dhyan Chand biography.
How Major Dhyanchand became a hockey wizard – Major Dhyan Chand biography:
- In 1922, Dhyan Chand joined the army at the age of 16. Seeing people playing in the army, his desire to play started awakening in his mind, and then one day he met ‘Major Tiwari’. Major Tiwari taught him the nuances of the game and he went on to become the best hockey player in the country.
- In 1926, the Indian hockey team went on a foreign tour which included Dhyan Chand. This was the first time that the team played a total of 21 matches in New Zealand and waved the victory flag in 18. India scored a total of 192 goals, of which 100 goals were scored by Dhyan Chand alone.
Major Dhyan Chand biography
Do read: Quotations of famous Indian sportspersons on National Sports Day
- In Amsterdam Olympics 1928, he scored 14 goals in 5 matches. After winning the same tournament he was named the “Magician of hockey”.
- In the year 1932 in the Olympic final, India defeated the United States 24-1. In this victory, Dhyan Chand scored eight goals and his brother Roop Singh scored 10 goals. Thirty-five goals were scored by India in the entire tournament.
- After watching Dhyan Chand’s game in the 1936 Berlin Olympics, Hitler offered him German citizenship and a position in the German army, which Dhyan Chand rejected.
- The sports club in Vienna, the capital of Austria, has a statue of Dhyan Chand with four arms and a hockey stick in all the four hands.
Major Dhyan Chand biography – Interesting facts about Dhyan Chand
Must read: National Sports Day: Dhyan Chand Award Winners List
- Dhyanchand scored more than 400 goals in his international career and played an important role in winning 3 gold medals for India. In all, he scored over 1000 goals during his career. Dhyanchand’s name will always be immortal in the sports world.
- In 1956, The Government of India honored him the Padma Bhushan, India’s third-highest civilian honour.
- India’s highest award for lifetime achievement in sports, the Dhyan Chand Award is named after him. In 2002, the National Stadium of Delhi was renamed Dhyan Chand National Stadium in his honour.
- The National Sports Day is celebrated on 29 August every year, on the birth anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand.
Must Read:Happy National Sports Day images download
Interesting facts about Dhyan Chand
- The original name of Dhyan Chand was Dhyan Singh.
- He started playing Hockey at the age of 16, after joining the British Indian Army as a sepoy.
- His father and his brothers played hockey too.
- He became part of the British Army Team in 1926 which was to tour New Zealand for a series. The team ended up winning 18 matches out of the total 21.
- Dhyan Chand got married in 1936 to Janaki Devi and had seven sons.
- At the Indian Gymkhana Club, London, an astroturf hockey pitch has been named after him.
Do read:Happy Birthday, the Magician of Hockey: Wishing Dhyan Chand on National Sports Day
For more articles like, “Major Dhyan Chand Biography”, do follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for interesting content. For watching our collection of videos, follow us on YouTube.