Do you know about these major Shiva temples in India?
Lord Shiva is known as supreme power according to the Hindu belief system. Shiva is considered among the three main energies behind the formation of this universe.
He has been worshipped in different forms at various places as the destroyer of evils and rescuer of the innocents.
Must Read: The Legend behind Jwala Ji temple
Here are some major Shiva temples in India:
- Located on the Garhwal Himalayan Range of Uttarakhand, Kedarnath Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- This Shiva shrine is counted among the four destinations of Chardham Yatra of Uttarakhand along with Yamunotri, Gangotri, and Badrinath.
- Because of its high elevation, the temple receives high snowfall in winter and remains open from April end till mid-November.
- The historical temple of Somnath is located in the Prabhas Kshetra in Gujarat which is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- It is one of the 12 Jyotirlinga temples and holds special significance among the Hindus.
- The temple has witnessed severe historical incidents and has been ruined by foreign invaders for its exclusive repository of gems and jewellery.
- The eye-catching part of the temple is an Arrow Pillar which is known as Baan Stambh.
Must read: Who Built the Kedarnath Temple
Mallikarjuna Swamy, Andhra Pradesh
- Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple located in Andhra Pradesh is yet another Jyotirlinga shrine on the banks of the River Krishna.
- Lord Shiva is worshipped here in the form of Mallikarjun and Goddess Parvati is worshipped as Bhadrakali.
- The temple of Mallikarjuna Swamy was built by King Harihara Raya of Vijayanagara kingdom.
Mahakaleshwar, Ujjain, MP
- The temple of Mahakaleshwar is located in the city of Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh.
- The deity Mahakal is the Lord of the death of all three Lokas, i.e., heaven, earth, and hell.
- Mahakal is considered to be the aggressive form of Lord Shiva, who is the destroyer of all evils.
- The main attraction of this Jyotirlinga Temple is the Bhasma Aarti which every devotee must see.
- This Jyotirlinga temple is located in Pune, Maharashtra.
- The temple is located on the banks of river Bhima at a height of 3250 ft.
- The Shivling of this temple is very big and is also called Moteshwar Mahadev.
- According to Hindu mythology, Bhima, son of Kumbhakaran was very angry at the death of his father who was killed by Lord Rama. He worshipped Lord Brahma who granted him a wish to win all the three lokas.
- When his tortures became unbearable, people worshipped Lord Shiva to save them.
- Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati together took the form of Ardhanarishwara and killed Bhimashankar.
Kashi Vishwanath, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- It is believed that one who takes his last breath in Varanasi gets liberated from the cycle of rebirth.
- The temple of Kashi Vishwanath is located in Varanasi and is among the twelve Jyotirlingas.
- During Shivratri, the temple gets decked at its best.
- Trimbakeshwar temple is located at a distance of 28km from Nashik.
- The temple was believed to be built by Peshwa Balaji Baji Rao. Built in classic Hemadpanthi style, this temple is completely made of black stone and is among one of the most popular Shiva temples in India.
- The lingam of Shiva in the temple showcases three faces embodying Lord Vishnu, Lord Brahma, and Lord Shiva.