Winner of five titles of the World Amateur Boxing Championship, Mary Kom is also the only Indian female boxer to have won a medal at the Olympics after she won bronze in 2012. This boxing sensation form India is one of the best players to have ever graced the game and holds multiple titles to her name. Here are some truly inspiring facts about her that you may not know.
- She was born into an extremely poor family and worked in the fields where her parents were labourers from a young age to help her family. Surprisingly she never played boxing as a child and took an avid interest in football, hockey and athletics. She switched to boxing after being inspired by Dingko Singh.
- She had a tough journey at the beginning of her career as she wasn’t encouraged by people too much who considered boxing a men’s game.When I decided to take up boxing, I had to hide it from my parents at first—boxing is not considered a lady-like sport. – Mary Kom. She had to hide her training from her parents and was asked by her father to give up the sport when he got to know.
- Her grit and determination paid off when she won the Best Boxer Award at the First State Level Invitation at the women’s boxing championship in Manipur. She dominated the national tournaments from there on, winning a total of five national titles from 2000 to 2005.
- Announced herself on the world stage after winning the AIBA world boxing championship thrice in 2002, 2005 and 2006. This is one of her most famous achievements. Her best ranking is of 4 in the AIBA flyweight category.
- She became the first Indian female boxer to qualify for and win a medal in the Olympics after she won a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics. Also became the first Indian woman to win gold at the Asian Games which she won in 2014 in Korea.
- She is best known for winning five World Amateur Boxing titles.
- Was decorated with the Padma Shri, in 2010 and honoured with the Padma Bhushan in 2013.
- In 2014, a biopic movie was released about the life of Mary Kom with Priyanka Chopra playing her role. The movie went onto become a huge success.
Mary Kom has been a source of inspiration for many young girls.
Recommended Reading: P.T. Usha: The Life And Achievements Of The Payyoli Express