Most famous Kali temples in India – Goddess Kali is the most powerful form of Shakti. She is usually portrayed standing or dancing on her consort, the Hindu god Shiva, who lies calm and prostrate beneath her. Kali is worshipped by Hindus all over India. Here are some most famous Kali temples in India you must visit.
Most famous Kali temples in India
Chamunda Devi, Himachal Pradesh
- The Chamunda Devi Temple, located in the Kangra in Himachal Pradesh is dedicated to Chamunda Devi who is depicted wrapped in a red sari.
- The Goddess is worshipped as Chamunda for having killed demons ‘chand’ and ‘mund’.
- In the temple, the main idol is visible from the main entrance and the shrine is guarded by the images of Lord Bhairav and Lord Hanuman on its sides.
Kalighat Mandir, Kolkata
- Kalighat Kali Temple is one of the most famous Kali temples of India located in West Bengal.
- The name Calcutta is said to have been derived from the word Kalighat.
- The temple is on the banks of a small canal called Adi Ganga, which was the original course of the river Hoogly.
- Here, goddess Kali is worshipped by a Dasanami Monk named Chowranga Giri, and the Chowringee area of Calcutta is said to have been named after him.
Kripamayee Kali Temple
- Kripamayee Kali Temple is a Hindu temple located on the eastern banks of Hooghly River near Kolkata. The deity of the temple is Kripamayee, who is a form of Kali.
- The temple was built by Jayram Mitra, who was a famous zamindar and a devotee of Kali in 1848.
- It is a colossal nine-spired temple with twelve shrines dedicated to Shiva, Kali’s consort.
Dakshineswar Kali Temple, West Bengal
- Dakshineswar Kali Temple is a Hindu temple located in Dakshineswar near Kolkata which was built in 1855 by Rani Rashmoni, a devotee of Kali.
- The main deity in the temple is of an aspect of Kali, Bhavatarini, meaning ‘She who liberates her devotees from the ocean of existence.
- Devotees from all parts of India visit this temple to seek blessings of the Mahakali.
Sree Bhadrakali Devaswom Temple, Tamil Nadu
- Sree Bhadrakali Temple is located at Kollemcode Village in Tamil Nadu.
- This is a very popular temple also known as Sree Bhadrakali Devaswom that provide the followers with blessings of the Lord Bhadrakali who is believed to be the most efficient goddess in endowing blessings to the followers.
- There are two deities in this temple who are considered as sisters; elder sister Bhadra and the younger Rudhra. Both the sisters Bhadra and Rudhra are worshipped in the same temple.
- A festival known as the Kollemcode Thookkam is celebrated in the Temple of Sree Bhadrakali Devaswom every year and is mostly visited by couples.
Kalka Devi Temple, New Delhi
- Located in Kalkaji, this is one of the most famous temples of Mahakali in India.
- Not only from India, but devotees from various parts of the world visit this temple to seek blessings of Mahakali.
- Devi is believed to fulfill wishes of her devotees offering prayers in the temple with a pure heart and full devotion.