Reliance, a well-known name from telecom industry came out to take the nation by storm yesterday by launching Reliance Jio. The launch of Reliance Jio is said to transform the Indian telecom sector, but at the same time, put pressure on multiple fronts on the current telecom operators such as Bharti Airtel, Idea and Reliance Communications.
Let’s check out quick facts and services that Reliance Jio is offering and promised to its onlookers:
- Reliance Jio, is basically a service provider for mobile networks, broadband services and digital services in India. Jio claims to be the only true provider of 4G LTE services pan-India.
- Jio offers SIM cards for 4G enabled phones and 4G personal hotspots for wireless internet on the go.
- Reliance also offers Jio apps that promise to offer exclusive digital content (music, videos, TV and movies).
- As of now Jio service will be available on selected android phones that support VOLTE. One does not need to have LYF phone.
- By 5th September service will be available on any phone that supports 4G.
- Jio Sims are available only at Reliance Digital Stores.
- Jio will be commercially launched in 2017. It’s still in the testing phase which is why all of Jio services are being offered to the public for free of cost until 31st December.
- Only Prepaid Sims are available.
- Currently, the services are available on Samsung, HTC, Micromax, Sony, Vivo, Intex, Lava, Gionee, Panasonic, Asus, Xolo, LG, Karbonn, Videocon, YU, Sansui, Alcatel and TCL handsets.
- One can keep their old number and switch to jio only after its commercial launch in 2017.
- Jio promises speeds up to 135 Mbps but that depends on your location. In some areas speeds up to 90 Mbps have been recorded while in some places the speed has been as low as 1 Mbps.