In this article, you will get to know about the Origin and history of Yoga. The word ‘Yoga’ comes from the Sanskrit word ‘Yuj’, which means ‘to join’ or ‘to unite’. The word, Yoga signifies peace, tranquility, join or unite. As per Yogic scriptures, Yoga indicates the combination of the mind and body, Man, Nature, and Soul. Yoga is also based on science which helps in bringing harmony between mind and body. It is an art and science of healthy living and the art of giving peace to our souls.
Origin and history of yoga, Development of Yoga:
- It is believed that yoga originated 5000 years ago. The origins of yoga that have been observed in Indian traditions as Yoga is mentioned in the Rigveda. The Vedas are a collection of texts that contain songs, mantras, and rituals which were used by the Vedic priests, Brahmans.
- Yoga was then developed by the Brahmans and Rishis who recorded their practices and beliefs in the Upanishads, which contained 200 scriptures. Bhagavad-Gita is one of the most famous Yogic scriptures. The Upanishads took the idea of sacrificing the ego through self-knowledge, action, and wisdom and focusing in the peace of mind.
Do read: Famous yoga institutions in India
- The Classical period of Yoga is popular by Patanjali’s Yoga-Sutras, which was the first ever organized presentation of yoga. Patanjali organized the practice of yoga into “eight limbed path” that contains various stages towards Samadhi (enlightenment).
- Patanjali is considered as the father of yoga and Yoga-Sutras impact most of the styles of modern yoga.
- After many centuries of Patanjali, yoga masters created a system of practices which was designed to revive the body and life. They declined the teachings of the ancient Vedas and focused on holding the physical body to achieve enlightenment.
- The yoga masters developed Tantra Yoga with complete techniques to cleanse the body and mind. The study of the physical-spiritual connections led to the creation of Hatha Yoga.
- In the late 1800s and early 1900s, yoga masters began to spread to the West, which attracts attention and many followers. In the 1920s and 30s, in India, Hatha Yoga was promoted by T. Krishnamacharya, Swami Sivananda and other yogis performing Hatha Yoga.
- The first Hatha Yoga School was established in 1924 in Mysore by Krishnamacharya. And in 1936, another yoga center, the Divine Life Society was founded on the banks of the holy Ganges River by Sivananda.
Must read: Best five yoga poses for runners
Nowadays, thousands of people across the country and globally have started practicing yoga and started gaining profit from the practice of Yoga. The practice of Yoga is becoming famous day-by-day.