Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s magnum opus ‘Padmavati’ starring Deepika Padukone, Shahid Kapoor and Ranveer Singh in the titular role has been mired in controversy for almost a year now. Things took the ugliest turn when BJP leader Suraj Pal Amu announced a “reward” of Rs 10 crore to anyone who beheads Deepika Padukone and Sanjay Leela Bhansali.
- The film is said to portray the story of Alauddin Khilji, medieval Mughal ruler of India who admired Rani Padmavati and hence waged a war against Chittoor.
- However, several fringe groups including Karni Sena claims that film has distorted many historical facts which could lead to defamation of their group.
- Hence, they have been posing threats to filmmakers and actors by the acts of hooliganism and verbal and physical threats.
- On 16th November 2017, Karni Sena leader Lokendra Singh Kalvi threatened to cut actress Deepika Padukone’s nose amid a call for “Bharat Bandh”. Sarv Brahmin Mahasabha, an organization of the Brahmin community, organized a blood signature campaign to request CBFC to ban the film.
- Thakur Abhishek Som of Sardhana Chaubisi, who claims affiliation to the Samajwadi Party, announced a bounty of Rs 5 crore on the heads of Bhansali and Padukone for “wrongfully portraying” queen Padmini.
- The extent of irresponsible commenting reached to its zenith when Haryana BJP leader Suraj Pal Amu doubled the money reward to Rs 10 Crore for anyone who beheads Deepika and Sanjay Leela Bhansali.
- Hence, in the light of these protests, Viacom released its official statement stating that they’ve extended the release date of the movie. Apart from the protests, CBFC has also withheld the movie’s release citing incomplete paperwork
Recommended reading: Dhadak poster launch : Jhanvi Kapoor And Ishaan turn on the charm in