Places to visit and interesting facts about Rameshwaram
Looking for places to visit and interesting facts about Rameshwaram ? We have got it all covered here.
Rameshwaram is one of the four Char Dhams as per the Hindu religion. The Char Dhams are one of the most important pilgrimage sites in India. Traditionally, the Char Dham Yatra starts from Puri (east) and then it proceeds in the clockwise direction. It is located in the southernmost tip of Tamil Nadu, India.
Rameshwaram is believed to be the place where Lord Rama had started his journey in search of his wife Sita who was kidnapped by Ravana (King of Sri-Lanka). Lord Rama along with his “Vanar Sena” constructed a floating stone bridge in order to reach Ravana’s Lanka to get Sita back. The bridge to Lanka, named “Rama Setu”, has a great spiritual and religious significance and is almost 30kms long.
Must Read: Five best places to visit in Mussoorie
Here goes our list about the places to visit and interesting facts about Rameshwaram.
- Ramnath Swami Temple, Ram Mandir, Charan Paduka, Panchmukhi Hanuman are some of the main temples to visit in Rameshwaram.
- Ramnathswami is a Hindu and the most famous temple of Rameshwaram which is dedicated to Lord Shiva. This temple was built in the 12th century.
- There are 64 Tirthas (holy water bodies) around the island of Rameshwaram.
- Ramnathswami has the world’s longest corridors which are 3850ft long and the entire temple has 1212 pillars with lion figures on them.
- The devotees are not allowed to touch the jyotirlinga. They can watch from a distance.
- The best time to visit is before sunrise.
- The most unique thing about this place is a bath ritual called 22 wells. The temple will provide you with the facility to change after taking a dip.
Ways to reach Rameshwaram:
By flight: The nearest airport is Madurai and Rameshwaram is 149kms away from Madurai. Madurai airport has regular flights from Chennai.
For more details on places to visit and interesting facts about Rameshwaram and related updates, like and subscribe to tentaran.com.
For more updates, keep visiting tentaran.com.