Prime Minister, Narendra Modi paid rich tribute to the father of our constitution, Bhim Rao Ambedkar on his 62nd death anniversary. Along with him, President Ram NathKovind and vice president Venkaiah Naidu also paid their tributes to him.
- A well-known political leader, writer, economist, scholar and editor, Bhim Rao Ambedkar has played a significant role in eradicating the social evils like untouchability and had always fought for the rights of the Dalits and other socially backward classes throughout his life.
- In the first cabinet of Independent India, he was appointed as the first Law Minister. Being the head of the drafting committee, Ambedkar drafted our constitution which is why he is also called as “Father of Indian Constitution”.
- Thousands of followers converged at his memorial in Chaitya Bhoomi in Mumbai in the presence of Maharashtra Chief Minister and Governor C. Vidyasagar Rao, who said that the work on Ambedkar’s memorial at the Indu Mill land here will begin in a month. The followers chanted slogans like ‘Jai Bheem’ and ‘Babasahebamarrahe’ while remembering him on his MahaParinirvanDiwas.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted pictures of him along with President Ram NathKovind and other BJP leaders paying tribute to Dr. BR Ambedkar early this morning.
- He also shared his pictures from his 2015 visit to Chaitya Bhoomi and tweeted “I bow to Dr. BabasahebAmbedkar on his MahaparinirvanDiwas.” along with a short video where he is seen bowing to the great man Shri Ambedkar was.
The soon-to-be Congress President Rahul Gandhi tweeted, “Men are mortal. So are ideas. An idea needs propagation as much as a plant needs watering. Otherwise, both will wither and die.” My tributes to #BabasahebAmbedkar on #MahaParinirvanaDiwas”
Recommended Reading: What was in PM Modi’s letter that touched Pranab Mukherjee’s heart