Canadian PM Justin Trudeau arrived in India on 17th February, 2018 for an official week-long visit. Five days after his landing in India, Trudeau met PM Narendra Modi today. Let’s look at the highlights:
- Canadian PM commenced his visit to India with a trip to the world famous Taj Mahal in Agra. Next, he toured Churmura Wildlife sanctuary in Mathura along with his family. From there he went to Ahmedabad, Gujarat to visit Sabarmati Ashram which was the residence of Gandhiji during the freedom struggle movement. He also addressed the students of Indian Institute of Ahmedabad.
- He also met some of the B-town celebrities including Shahrukh Khan, Farhan Akhtar, Anupam Kher among others at an event.
- Next, he went to Punjab to meet CM of Punjab and to offers his prayers at the holy shrine of Sikhs, the Golden Temple where he was presented with a traditional robe of honour.
- On Thursday, he toured Delhi with his family where he visited Jama Masjid and also tried his hand at playing cricket in the company of two former Indian cricket players, Mohd Azharuddin and Kapil Dev. Ahead of their meeting, PM Narendra Modi in a sweet gesture tweeted on Thursday, “I hope PM @JustinTrudeau and his family had a very enjoyable stay so far. I particularly look forward to meeting his children Xavier, Ella-Grace, and Hadrien. Here is a picture from my 2015 Canada visit, when I’d met PM Trudeau and Ella-Grace,” to which Canadian PM replied, “She remembers”!
- Today, PM Modi officially welcomed Justin Trudeau along with his family. The two leaders will have a bilateral meeting today, they are expected to focus on important issues of defence, trade, civil nuclear cooperation, tackling chemical change energy, space, and education. Further, cooperation on counter-terror measures is also expected to be an area of discussion in this meeting.