Nestled in the Aravali hills, Ajmer lies towards the south-west of Jaipur. Founded by Raja Ajaypal Chauhan in the 7th century AD, Ajmer is primarily known for Ajmer Sharif, which houses the Tomb of Khawaja Garib Nawaz, also known as Moinuddin Chisti. Here are the best five places to visit in Ajmer :
Khawaja Gharibnawaz Dargah (Ajmer Sharif)
- One of the holiest muslim shrines in the world, Dargah Ajmer Sharif is visited by millions of devotees every year.
- The pious sufi saint, Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti who is well-known for his secular preachings is enshrined here.
- Built by Humayun, the Dargah showcases intricate architecture. The actual tomb inside the Dargah is made of marble and gold plating, and is guarded by a silver railing and a marble screen.
- Dargah Khawaja Gharibnawaz has several tombs, buildings, Daalaans and courtyards of Mughal architecture.
Adhai Din Ka Jhopra
- This Indo-Islamic architectural site is said to be built in two and and a half days, and that is how its name was called “Adhai Din Ka Jhopra”
- If the folklores are to be believed, this relic of an old mosque was constructed with the remains of Hindu and Jain temples.
- The arched screens, ruined minarets and beautiful pillars make it a must-visit destination for architecture lovers.
Ana Sagar Lake
- Ana Sagar Lake is a beautiful artificial lake in Ajmer which offers serene sunset view to the travellers.
- Named after its founder, the grandfather of Prithivi Raj Chauhan, King Anaji Chauhan, this lake was founded in 12th century.
- Once here, you can also visit Daulat Bagh Gardens and Khobra Behroon temple, two popular attractions of Ajmer which lies in the vicinity of Ana Sagar Lake.
Akbar’s Palace and Museum
- Constructed in the year 1500 AD, Akbar’s palace is a place where his troops had stayed in Ajmer.
- The museum which lies alongside houses age old military weapons and exquisite sculptures.
- The palace depicts Rajput and Mughal style of living and fighting.
Apart from the above best five places to visit in Ajmer, there are few more places to visit in Ajmer which we will cover in another article.