A small port town in the Shekhawati region of northern Rajasthan, Mandawa was established during the 17th and 18th century. Since it offers the variety of beautiful locations, a lot of popular movies like Bajrangi Bhaijaan, PK, Jab We Met have been shot here. A home to numerous beautiful havelis, the historic and heritage charm of Mandawa makes it a worth-visiting destination.
Here’re the best five places that you must visit in Mandawa:
1. Binsidhar Newatia Haveli
- Constructed in 1921, the beautiful Binsidhar Newatia Haveli will surely take you to the past glory of Rajasthan.
- The architectural work and elegant patterns will leave you spellbound with their grandeur.
- The most famous paintings in the Haveli includes a European woman in a car driven by a chauffeur, a boy using a telephone, a man on a bicycle, a bird-man flying in a winged device and a strong man hauling along a car.
2. Mandawa Fort
- Located amidst the Aravalli Hills in Rajasthan, Mandawa Fort was founded by Thakur Nawal Singh in the year 1812.
- Boasting off a medieval charm, this fort is the best place for history lovers. The painted archways is a treat for the eyes.
- Currently, it has been transformed into a heritage hotel so you can actually spend a couple of days in the fort.
3. Jhunjhunwala Haveli
- Built in the year 1859, Jhunjhunwala Haveli is said to be the most beautiful Haveli in Mandawa.
- This Haveli puts to display the remarkable traditional Rajasthani art. The fine architecture of the haveli and the intricate artwork never fails to entice the tourists.
- Colorful murals and beautiful paintings of Lord Krishna further adds to the vibrancy of the Haveli.
4. Murmuria Haveli
- Constructed in the year 1930, Murmuria Haveli is best known for its alluring paintings.
- Taking a shift from the religious paintings, the paintings in Murmuria Haveli depict the political leaders of the ancient era.
- The beautiful paintings include paintings of cars, trains, George V and Venice. There are also several pictures of Lord Krishna with his cows and also of our first PM Jawaharlal Nehru on a horseback holding the National flag
5. Main Bazaar
- A place perfect for buying souvenirs, Main Bazaar in Mandawa attracts people who are mainly interested in buying vintage art and craft products.
- Some of the immensely popular products that can be found in the shops of Main Bazaar include paintings which are crafted on papers or cloth, cradles, decorated chests, chairs, metal utensils, low tables, and stools. For the women tourists, the best buy would certainly be the typical Rajasthani fabrics of tie and dye and bright colored bangles
Recommended reading : Rajasthan: Best five places to visit in Pushkar