How to vote #India: Lok Sabha elections 2019 first phase went to polling yesterday with voters in 20 states casting their vote to elect their representatives for the next Lok Sabha. Here’s what all you would know about How to vote #India
Eligibility for Resident Voter’s Registration
- Any Indian citizen over the age of 18 as on January 1 of any caste, religion or gender can vote.
- You are eligible to vote only if your name appears in the Voter List.
- Any person of unsound mind or have been declared so by the court or disqualified due to ‘Corrupt Practices’ are not qualified to vote in the electoral rolls.
Also read: India Lok Sabha Election 2019 date schedule
Registering to Vote in India
If your name is not already in the voter list, you can get your name added by filling up Form-6 and submitting it at the Electoral Office of your Assembly Constituency.
How to check your name on the voter list
You can check whether your name is listed in the voter list or not online or through SMS.
- For checking your name in voters list online:
- Visit electoralsearch.in
- Enter your basic details like Name, age, etc. and search
- Or, if you have your voter ID card, just enter its number and search
- For checking your name in voters list SMS:
- Just SMS <ECI> space <EPIC No> and send it to 1950 (EPIC stands for Electors Photo Identity Card, generally referred to as Voter ID card).
- Example – If your EPIC is ABCD987654 then write ECI ABCD987654 and send it to 1950
How to register online for voting
- To register yourself online for visit, go to www.eci.nic.in. C
- lick on tab ‘Online Voter Registration’
- Sign up to obtain a username and password and upload one passport size color photo in the given space.
- Mention the proof of residence and age. In case you are unable to upload, the Booth Level Officer (BLO) may also collect the documents from your place.
How to find your polling booth
- Check online from electoralsearch.in or download Voter Helpline App to find your polling booth
- You can also call Voter Helpline number 1950 (just add your STD code)
- Polling booth location can also be received by SMS. Send <ECIPS> space <EPIC No> to 1950.
How to vote #India: What is the voting process at the polling booth
- One Polling official will check your name on the voter list and verify your ID proof.
- The other official will put ink on your finger.
- At the next desk, you will be given a slip and sign on a register.
- The official at the last desk will deposit the slip, check your inked finger and then you will go to the polling booth.
- Record your vote by pressing the ballot button in front of the candidate of your choice on the EVM machine. You will hear a beep sound.
- A slip with your chosen Candidate Name, serial number and Symbol will appear in the transparent window of the VVPAT machine. The slip drops in the sealed VVPAT box after 7 seconds.
- If you do not want to vote for anyone, press the NOTA button, which means None of the Above.
- If you want to know more about voting, please visit ecisveep.nic.in.
What you can use as ID proof for voting
- Voter ID Card
- Driving licence
- PAN card
- Aadhar card
- Passbook issued by bank or post office
- MGNREGA job card
- Health insurance card issued by the Ministry of Labour
- Pension document having your photograph
- Authenticated photo voter slip issued by the election commission
- Service identity card issued by Central/State Government/ Public Sector undertakings or Public Limited Companies
- Passbooks issued by banks or post office
When is the election in my Constituency
India Lok Sabha elections 2019 are scheduled to be held from 11th April 2019 till 23rd May 2019 in seven phases. You can check dates for your constituency here.
- Phase 1 – 11th Apr
- Phase 2 – 18th April
- Phase 3 – 23rd April
- Phase 4 – 29th April
- Phase 5 – 6th May
- Phase 6 – 12th May
- Phase 7 – 19th May
The results of Election 2019 will be announced on 23rd May.