Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Facts, Biography and Achievements
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Facts – Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel is believed to be born on 31st October 1875 to Zaverbhai Patel and Ladbai in Nadiad, Gujarat. His actual date of birth is not confirmed as he himself didn’t know the date on which he was born. This date mentioned above is the registered DOB that he submitted for his examinations when he was asked for it. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel married Jhaverba and had 2 children; Maniben Patel and Dahyabhai Patel.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel studied at N K High School, Petlad, and Inns of Court in London, England before which he used to borrow books and study all by himself. He was a charismatic leader who spoke purely from his heart, respected disagreements with other’s opinions, a believer in equality, and stood for women empowerment along with self-sufficiency through rapid industrialization.
Must Read: Lal Bahadur Shastri, the 2nd Prime Minister of India- facts, biography, and slogans
Here are some Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel facts that you might not remember.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Facts –
- In the loving memory of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the government in 2014 introduced the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day) on 31st October.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel played a key role in the Integration of the princely states which is why the ‘Statue of Unity’ is dedicated to him. He is credited for the political integrations of 562 princely states into one independent Indian Union.
- He is also known as ‘Iron Man of India’.
- Patel studied law to become a Barrister and later entered politics after meeting with Mahatma Gandhi in Godhra.
- He joined the Congress and became the secretary of the Gujarat Sabha. He later became a senior leader of the INC.
- He became the first Deputy Prime Minister of India and was also appointed the Home Minister of India on India’s first Independence Day.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Facts
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel voluntarily stepped down from becoming the first Prime Minister of India. Even after having a majority of supporters i.e, 13 out of 16, he let Jawahar Lal Nehru become the first Prime Minister by stepping down from the elections in 1946.
Must Read: Interesting facts about Mahatma Gandhi
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was the one to lead the Satyagraha Movement in 1923 in Nagpur against the British law that banned the hoisting of the Indian Flag while Mahatma Gandhi was imprisoned.
- He died of natural causes in 1950 and was awarded the Bharat Ratna in 1991, 40 years after his death.
- He was the founder of the Modern all India Services and also protected Kashmir from Pakistan post-partition in September 1947.
- Patel survived from suffering a plague that killed thousands of people in India and China. He also survived a heart attack in 1948.
Must Read: Know interesting facts and biography of Shaheed Bhagat Singh
For more articles like, “Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Facts”, do follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for interesting content. For watching our collection of videos, follow us on YouTube.