The 20-year-old Sarfaraz Khan, who is one of the most talented youngsters in the country nearly slipped into depression after suffering an injury that meant he had to miss the game for almost a year. Today owing to his immense hardwork and achievements at such a young age, the Royal Challengers Bangalore and captain Virat Kohli kept faith in him as they retained him for 1.75 crores for this year’s IPL. So what makes the bulky, short Sarfaraz so special that he is considered one of the best talents in the country? We take a closer look at his career till now.
- Made a name for himself when he made 439 during a Harris Shield game at 12. There was no stopping him from there as he went to reach great heights with the U19 team and the Mumbai Ranji team.
- Struggled with disciplinary issues which rattled his career even before it had taken off. He was suspended by the Mumbai Cricket Association for faking his age before an advanced test proved that he was telling the truth. He was dismissed from the MCA’s indoor academy camp on disciplinary grounds a short time later from the MCA incident. He however mended his act to get back on track and make a name for himself.
- Known for his aggressive hitting he went on to score a mammoth amount of runs in the Under-19 World Cup. He scored 211 runs at an average of 70.33 and a strike rate of 105 which included a quick fire 52 against England in the quarterfinals.
- Sarfaraz was signed up by the Royal Challengers Bangalore for 50 lakhs in IPL 2015 to become the youngest ever player to feature in the IPL. RCB retained him for the 2018 edition of the IPL ahead of big names like Chris Gayle for 1.75 cr which is a huge testament to his talent.
- Made an impressive debut in the IPL (111 runs in 13 matches@ 27.75, strike rate: 156. 33) for the RCB .He was dropped midway into the team’s campaign last year though with Kohli saying he needed to work on his fitness. Sarfaraz then went on to suffer a knee injury which saw him out of the game for 8 months.
.Batting Career Summary
Recommended Reading: Interesting Facts About MS Dhoni You Might Not Know