Some facts to know about the Met Gala – Everyone has heard about the Met Gala, right? But do you know what the Met Gala is? Here is everything you need to know about the Met Gala.
Here are some facts to know about the Met Gala:
- The Met Gala also known as Costume Institute Gala is an event to raise money for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute in New York.
- It symbolizes the opening of the Costume Institute’s annual fashion exhibition. Each year, the event celebrates the theme of the year’s Costume Institute exhibition.
Must read: Priyanka and Deepika at the Met Gala
- The guests are expected to choose their dress to match with the theme of the exhibition.
History of the Met Gala
- The Met Gala was established in 1948 by fashion publicist Eleanor Lambert in order to raise money for the Costume Institute and remember the opening of the Museum.
- The first gala was a midnight dinner and the ticket cost was just fifty dollars.
- In the first few decades, the gala was simply one of many annual benefit events held for New York charitable institutions.
Also read: Deepika Padukone at Cannes Film Festival
- From 1948 to 1971, the event was held at different venues including the Waldorf-Astoria, Central Park, and the Rainbow Room.
More in some facts to know about the Met Gala
View this post on Instagram
- In 1972, former Vogue editor-in-chief Diana Vreeland became a consultant to the Costume Institute and transformed the Gala into a more glamorous event.
- During the time of Diana Vreeland, the Gala was first held at the Met and the Gala themes were introduced. In 1989, Vreeland died but the Met Gala continued to be considered a luxurious, blockbuster event and was known “the jewel in New York City’s social crown”.
Must read: Cannes Film Festival – Aishwarya Rai
- In 2014 Met Gala was scheduled from May 8 to August 10, 2014, which raised a record of $12 million as against US$9 million raised in 2013.
- The Met Gala is considered to be the fashion industry’s premier annual red carpet event. Its fashions are photographed, reviewed, and critiqued. The museum is closed for the general public on the first Monday of May due to the Gala.
- In 2014, ticket prices were raised by $10,000 to increase the exclusivity of the event. US$30,000 was the cost of the ticket for people outside the official guest list.
- Each year the event has a theme and includes a cocktail and a formal dinner. During the cocktail hour, guests walk on the red carpet and enjoy the dinner party.
- The theme not only sets the tone for the annual exhibit, but also for the guests who try to dress to uphold the theme of the year.
- The theme in the Met Gala 2018 was Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination. And the theme of 2019 is, “Camp: Notes on Fashion.” Lady Gaga, Serena Williams, Harry Styles will host the camp-themed event.