Some really interesting facts about Hindi language – Hindi is the official language of India which is spoken by more than 366 million people across the world. The word Hindi got its name from the Persian word ”Hind” which means “land of the Indus River”
Here are some really interesting facts about Hindi language you must know:
- Hindi is written in Devnagari script. Devnagari is written from left to right and consists of 11 vowels and 33 consonants.
- The alphabetical table of Hindi is called ‘Varnmala’ meaning ‘garland of letters’.
- Approximately 77% of Indians can read, write, speak or understand Hindi.
- The interesting fact about Hindi is it is taught in 176 of the world’s universities out of which 45 alone are in America.
- Everyday about 25 Hindi magazines and newspapers are published in countries outside India.
- India is not the only country where Hindi is spoken. It is also spoken in other countries like Mauritius, Guyana, Figi, Tobago and Nepal.
- Hindi is one of the seven languages that are used to make web addresses.
- It is one of the most spoken languages.
- In 1881, Bihar became the first state to replace Urdu and accept Hindi as the official state language.
- The constituent assembly adopted Hindi on 14 September 1949 as the official language of union. The day is now celebrated as Hindi day.
- Words like ‘yoga’, ‘avatar’, ‘mantra’, ‘guru’, nirvana, ‘typhoon’, ‘karma’, and ‘punch’ are taken from Hindi.
- Hindi became the official language of India in 1965.
- The pronunciation of English words is different from how it is written but the pronunciation of Hindi words is same from how it is written.
- The Hindi languages does not require articles like ‘a’, ‘an’ and ‘the’.
- None of the alphabets of Hindi give any illusion even if they are written upside down or show a mirror image.
- Hindi word “Swadeshi” has been incorporated in the Oxford Dictionary. Apart from that there are many hindi words that have been added in the Oxford dictionary like Aadhaar, Achcha, etc.
- The first Hindi film, Raja Harishchandra was made by Dadasaheb Phalke which was released in 1913.
- “Prem Sagur written by Lallu Lal in 1805 is considered to be the first published Hindi book. The book is based on Lord Krishna.
- The first Hindi typewriter was launched during 1930s.
- The earliest form of Hindi is Apabhramsa.
For more articles like ‘Some really interesting facts about Hindi language’, do follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for interesting content. For watching our collection of videos, follow us on YouTube.