Statue of Unity – All about Statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
The Statue of Unity, located in Gujarat is the world’s tallest statue. This statue of the Indian Statesman Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel is designed by Ram V. Sutar. It is 182 metres in height. The construction of the statue began in October 2014 by Larsen & Toubro, with a contract value of INR 2989 crores. It was inaugurated on 31 October 2018, (143rd anniversary of Patel’s) by the Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
The statue is constructed on the river island named Sadhu Bet. The nearest city to the Statue of Unity is Vadodara, 95 km away. The purpose behind erecting the statue is that the statue will not only remind every individual of our great nation’s freedom struggle but will inspire people to introduce Patel’s ideologies and patriotism.
Must Read: Being Human – Salman Khan charity works
Some facts about the Statue of Unity:
- The statue of unity is a large version of the statue of the leader installed at the Ahmedabad International Airport.
- The total height of the statue is 182 metres (597 ft), base 240 metres (790 ft)
- The statue withstands a wind velocity up to 60 metres a second, vibration, and earthquake.
- Iron, that is collected through the “Loha” campaign, was collected and converted into rebar, for the foundation of the Statue.
- The statue is a naturalistic representation of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel wearing his characteristic garments in a walking stance.
- The base of the statue consists of three floors – the exhibit floor, mezzanine, and the roof.
Over 128,000 tourists visited the statue of unity within 11 days since its opening on November 1, 2018. The statue remains closed every Monday for its maintenance. Entry to the monument opens at 9 AM and closes at 5 PM. The entry ticket to the statue of unity costs Rs 120 for adults and Rs 60 for kids.
Must Read: Interesting facts about Rudyard Kipling
To build this monument, lakhs of farmers from all over India came together to donate their equipment, and a mass movement began. More than 2500 workers and hundred migrant laborers from China were engaged to get the statue ready on time. The government predicts that the statue will generate approx. 15,000 jobs for local people every year. To attract tourists, the Gujarat tourism department has opened online booking for not just the entry to the statue site but also for tourism packages, including accommodation inside tent houses.
Located at just a 10-minute drive away from the Statue of Unity, a luxurious nature retreat along Panchmuli Lake, Tent City Narmada, has been opened for tourists as well. Now, over 1000’s of people have the means of livelihood because there will be required tour guides, stalls, sellers. All in all, it is beneficial for everyone. The statue of unity is the best example for those who question the existence of India.
Must Read: Things you need to know about Rabindranath Tagore
For more articles like ‘The Statue of Unity’, do follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for interesting content. For watching our collection of videos, follow us on YouTube.