The Statue of Unity is the world’s tallest statue of Indian Statesman Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in the state of Gujrat. The statue is designed by Ram V. Sutar. It is 182 meters in height. The construction of the statue was started in October 2014 by Larsen & Toubro, with the contract of INR 2989 crore. It was inaugurated on 31 October 2018, (143rd anniversary of Patel’s) by Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
The statue is constructed on the river island named Sadhu Bet. The nearest city from the State of Unity is Vadodara, 95 km away. The purpose behind erecting the statue is, the statue will not only remind every individual of our great nation’s freedom struggle but will also inspire people to introduce Patel’s ideologies and patriotism.
Must Read: Being Human – Salman Khan charity works
Some facts about the Statue of Unity:
- The statue of unity is a large version of the statue of the leader installed at Ahmedabad International Airport.
- The total height of the statue is 182 meters (597 ft), base 240 metres (790 ft)
- The statue withstands wind velocity up to 60 metres a second, vibration and earthquake.
- Iron that is collected through the “Loha” campaign was collected and converted into rebar, for the foundation of the Statue.
- Naturalistic representation of Patel wearing his characteristic garments and a walking stance.
- The base of the statue consists of three floors – the exhibit floor, mezzanine and the roof.
Over 128,000 tourists visited it in 11 days since it was opened on November 1, 2018. The statue remains closed on every Monday for its maintenance. Entry to the monument opens at 9 AM and closes at 5 PM. The entry ticket to the statue of unity costs Rs 120 for adults and Rs 60 for kids.
Must Read: Interesting facts about Rudyard Kipling
To build this monument lakhs of farmers from all over India came together to donate their equipment and a mass movement had started. More than 2500 workers and hundred migrant labourers from China were engaged to get the statue ready on time. The government predicts that the statue will generate approx. 15,000 jobs for local people every year. To attract tourists, Gujrat tourism department has opened online booking for not just entry to the statue site but also for tourism packages, including accommodation inside tent houses.
Located just 10-minute drive away from the Statue of Unity, a luxurious nature retreat along Panchmuli Lake, Tent City Narmada, has been opened for the tourist. Now, over 1000’s of people have means of livelihood because there will be required tour guides, stalls, sellers. All in all, it is beneficial for everyone. The statue of unity is the best example for those who question the existence of India.