Living in a country where gender discrimination is the stark reality, talking about a woman who’ve beaten all the odds to reach the topmost position in the second largest food and beverage company in the world is a great pride in itself! Indra Krishnamurthy Nooyi. She is no ordinary woman, indeed!
Let us know more about this extraordinary woman who’s really making India proud:
- Indra Nooyi is an Indian born American business, currently the Chairperson and CEO of PepsiCo, the second largest food and beverage business in the world.
- Born in a highly conservative Hindu family on October 28, 1955, in Madras, Indra had always been a rule-breaker. While most of the women at that time were married off before they could even complete their education, Indra did her Bachelor’s in Science from Madras Christian College in 1974 and MBA from IIM, Calcutta in 1976.
- Nooyi began her professional career as a product manager at Johnson & Johnson and textile firm Mettur Beardsell, India.
- While in the job, once while strolling through a magazine, Indra came across an article about the Yale School of Management. Upon persistence of her friends, she applied for the course with the intention that she will not get through the process. To her surprise, not only was she selected but also was provided some financial aid.
- While pursuing her studies, she worked as a receptionist on the night shift to earn some extra money so that she could buy an appropriate dress for her job interview.
- She joined Boston Consulting Group’ and worked with Motorola and Asea Brown Boveri.
- Her great performance got her the attention of Jack Welch (former Chairman and CEO of General Electric) and Wayne Calloway (former CEO, PepsiCo). Both placed an offer, but PepsiCo’s offer appealed to her more and she joined PepsiCo in 1994, became President in 2001 and CEO in October 2006.
- She has been consistently counted among world’s 100 most powerful women. She has been conferred with Padma Bhushan award in 2007 for her spectacular business achievements, influential prowess as an entrepreneur and for being an inspiration to the corporate leadership of India.
From humble beginnings and sacrifices to become a CEO and Chairperson of PepsiCo, Indra Nooyi is surely an inspiration to us all.
Recommended reading: JRD Tata – a Successful Businessman and a great human being