Sumit Nagal Facts – Sumit Nagal is an Indian tennis player, born on 16 August 1997. He was born in Jaitpur village in Haryana to Suresh Nagal, a teacher, and Krishna Devi Nagal. It is no less than a historic win for him that he became the first Indian tennis player to win the first set against World No 1 Roger Federer, winner of 20 Grand Slams amongst many other big wins.
Sumit Nagal Facts – Historic win of Sumit Nagal against Roger Federer
- When he was 10, he lived in Nangloi in West Delhi. He completed his early education at Rajkiya Pratibha Vikas Vidyalaya in New Delhi.
- He was selected in the first batch of children under “Apollo Tyres Mission 2018 Programme”.
- Between 2008 -2010, he was based in Bangalore. As the program shut down, Nagal shifted to Toronto, Canada where he was coached by Bobby Mahal between 2008 -2014.
- In 2014, Nagal shifted to Offenbach in Germany to the Schüttler Waske Tennis-University where he was coached by Mariano Delfino of Argentina.
Do read: ICC World Test Championship Schedule
- He won the Wimbledon boys’ doubles title in 2015, with his Vietnamese partner Lý Hoàng Nam. They defeated pair of Reilly Opelka and Akira Santillan in the final. He became the sixth Indian player to win a junior Grand Slam title.
- In 2016 New Delhi, he made his Davis Cup debut for India in the World Group Playoff tie against Spain. In 2017 Bengaluru Challenger he stunned top seed Blaz Kavcic in quarter-finals, by defeating Yuki Bhambri in semis and Jay Clarke in the finals.
Sumit Nagal Facts
- He was a runner up in Junior Asian Games 2018 along with his Indian Partner Amandeep Singh and Raj Kumar (sub pro).
- He made history at the Arthur Ashe Stadium when he became the first Indian tennis player to win the first set against World No 1 Roger Federer. After winning round one, he was so happy, that his racquet came off his hand while celebrating.
Sumit Nagal Facts – Biography
- Indian tennis player Sumit Nagal gave Roger Federer a very tough competition in the first round of US Open 2019. After the first round, Federer needed to win three sets to win the match as Nagal took the first set 4-6.
- After losing the first set, Roger Federer won three sets in a row to beat Sumit Nagal. In the fourth set, Nagal competed till the end, but Federer was too good.
- First set: Federer 4 – 6 Nagal
- Second set: Federer 6 – 1 Nagal
- Third set: Federer 6 – 2 Nagal
- Final score: FEDERER 4-6 6-1 6-2 6-4 NAGAL