Sushma Swaraj Biography: All about Sushma Swaraj’s Life, Career, Achievements, Death
Read all about Sushma Swaraj biography, life, career and death. Sushma Swaraj was a senior BJP leader, a bold nationalist, former Foreign Minister and one of the most popular Indian politicians.
Sushma Swaraj Last tweet
Sushmaji did her last tweet thanking Prime Minister Narendra Modi for revoking Article 370 “@narendramodi ji – Thank you Prime Minister. Thank you very much. I was waiting to see this day in my lifetime.”
प्रधान मंत्री जी – आपका हार्दिक अभिनन्दन. मैं अपने जीवन में इस दिन को देखने की प्रतीक्षा कर रही थी. @narendramodi ji – Thank you Prime Minister. Thank you very much. I was waiting to see this day in my lifetime.
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) August 6, 2019
Kashmir was always very close to Sushmaji’s heart and she once famously retorted against Pakistan’s then Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif at the UNGA in 2016 “Kashmir is an integral part of India and it will remain an integral part of India. No one can take it away by force. Pakistan should stop dreaming”.
Check out some unseen pictures of Sushma Swaraj
Personal life and Education of Sushma Swaraj
- Sushma Swaraj was born to a prominent RSS member Hardev Sharma and Laxmi Devi on 14th February 1953 at Ambala Cantt.
- She finished her graduation from Ambala with majors in Political Science and Sanskrit.
- Sushma later studied law from Punjab University at Chandigarh.
- She started practicing as an advocate in 1973 in the Supreme Court.
- Sushmaji married Swaraj Kaushal on 13 July 1975, who was also an advocate.
- She has a daughter, Bansuri, who studied to become a Barrister at Law from Inner Temple, London after finishing her graduation from Oxford University.
- Sushmaji underwent a kidney transplant at AIIMS on 10th December 2016.
- She passed away on 6th August 2019 in AIIMS due to a heart attack.
Records and Awards of Sushma Swaraj
- Sushma Swaraj received the Outstanding Parliamentarian Award in 2004. She is the first and only female Member of the Parliament to have ever received this award.
- Limca Book of Records credited her and her husband as the ‘Most Distinguished Couple’ for their achievements and distinction at a young age.
- She became the youngest Cabinet Minister ever after being elected in 1977 at the age of 25.
- Sushmaji became the first-ever female Spokesperson of a national political party in India.
- Sheh was also the first woman Chief Minister of Delhi.
Read: What happened in Indian History on 6 August
Sushma Swaraj Political Career
- She began her political career in the 1970s by joining ABVP (Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad), an All India student organization affiliated to RSS.
- She joined the legal defence team of George Fernande in 1975.
- Sushma Swaraj joined BJP after the emergency.
- At the age of just 25, she became a member of the Haryana Legislative Assembly from 1977 to 1982 and 1987 to 1990.
- She became Cabinet Minister in Janata Dal Government in July 1977.
- At a young age of 27, she became the State President of Janata Party (Haryana) in 1979.
- Between 1987 to 1990, in the BJP-Lok Dal coalition government, Sushma Swaraj was the Education Minister of Haryana.
- She got elected as a member of Rajya Sabha in April 1990.
- In 1996, she was elected to 11th Lok Sabha from Delhi (South Delhi Constituency).
- In the short 13-day government of Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 1996, she was the Union Cabinet Minister for I&B.
Sushma Swaraj Political Career – Sushma Swaraj Biography
- March 1998 saw her again being re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha where she served as the Union Cabinet Minister for Information and Broadcasting (I&B) from 19 March 1998 to 12 October 1998, when she also handled the additional charge of the Ministry of Telecommunications.
- Became a Rajya Sabha member from Uttar Pradesh in April 2000 and was also inducted in the Union Cabinet as Minister for I&B from Sept.2000 till January 2003.
- From January 2003 till May 2004, she was the Minister of Health, Family Welfare, and Parliamentary Affairs.
- In April 2006, she was re-elected to Rajya Sabha for the third time from Madhya Pradesh. She was also chosen as the Deputy Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha till April 2009.
- Sushmaji won the 15th Lok Sabha elections in 2009 from Madhya Pradesh. In the 15th Lok Sabha, she became the Leader of Opposition from 21 December 2009 till May 2014.
- She served as the Minister of External Affairs in the 16th Lok Sabha from May 2014 till May 2019. She was the second woman to hold that office after Indira Gandhi.
- During the 17th Lok Sabha elections 2019, Sushma Swaraj decided not to contest the elections due to health reasons. She was recovering from a kidney transplant.
Read Rabindranath Tagore Quotes Status Images Messages
To keep reading informative stories, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. For watching our collection of videos, follow us on YouTube.