Teams All Out in First Session of Test Match
Lords, England was the venue where England won the 2019 world cup on the 14 July 2019. 10 days later, England, on the same venue, on a different format and a different opposition, created an unwanted record in the test match. This event took place in the home of cricket. England became the 7th test to be dismissed on the first day of the first session of a test match. The hosts were bundled out for just 85 runs on the board. The most interesting fact about this is that the opponent who gave England this embarrassing record is not a very old test playing nation. It was not Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan or India but, Ireland. Ireland made this miracle possible at the home of England and is a nation of just 2 test matches.
Teams All Out in First Session of Test Match
Ireland lost their first two test matches against Pakistan and Afghanistan. This was their 3rd test match and they shot England out for just 85 runs and that too in just 23.4 overs. They have made a record. Tim Murtagh picked up 5 wickets to his name. This was his maiden 5 wicket haul, while, Mark Adair took 3 wickets and Boyd Rankin took 2. There have been 6 more instances where teams have been bowled out within the first session on day one of the test match and these records say that teams who batted first and scored a low score have lost. So is there a chance for Ireland to script a victory?
Let’s see the other 6 instances of Teams All Out in First Session of Test Match –
- Australia Vs England in 1896 at Lords – In the first test match of the series, the Aussies had a horrifying start. They were bowled out for just 53 runs in their first innings. Tom Richardson was the pick for the England bowlers. He took 6 wickets which helped the hosts in cleaning up Australia in just 22.3 overs. England batted well in their first innings and scored 292 runs. The Aussies too came back well in their 2nd They scored 347 runs and set the target which they couldn’t defend but, England chased down the target in the 4thinnings. They scored 111 runs for the loss of 4 wickets. England won the match by 6 wickets and later won the series 2-1.
- India Vs South Africa in 2008 at Ahmadabad – The first test match of the series was drawn. Both the teams locked horns for the 2ndtest match at Ahmadabad. But this was a poor test in which India was outplayed by South Africa. The powerful batting line up of India was blown for just 76 runs in 20 overs. It was a superb spell by Dale Steyn which caused India the problems on a green wicket at the Sardar Patel Stadium. Steyn took 5 wickets and then AB De Villers came up with his special knock of an unbeaten 217 runs which took the game from the hosts. South Africa scored 494 runs which was too much for India. In the second innings, the Indian batsmen showed some fight but couldn’t match up to the Proteas. India was eventually got bowled out for 328 runs which gave South Africa a magnificent victory of an innings and 90 runs. Steyn again picked up 5 wickets and was awarded man of the match award for his 10 wicket haul in this test match.
- New Zealand Vs South Africa in 2013 at Cape Town – The teams who don’t start the series with a winning note eventually do not win the test series. New Zealand too didn’t start well in the 1sttest match. The Kiwis were bundled out for 45 runs in 19.2 overs. Vernon Philander took 5 wickets and conceded only 7 runs while Steyn took 2 wickets and Morkel took 3. South Africa batted once but they batted well. Alviro Peterson scored his 106 runs while Amla, Kallis, and ABD chipped in with the 60s. The Proteas scored a total of 347 runs which was too much for New Zealand. The Kiwis were bowled out for just 275 runs and handed the match in South Africa’s favor. The Proteas won this match by an innings and 90 runs.
- Australia Vs England in 2015 at Nottingham – The 4thTest Match of the Ashes test series. This test match is remembered for a special performance by Stuart Board. He ripped the Aussies batsmen apart. Board’s name was on the board as he took 8 wickets and gave away just 15 runs. This helped England bowl out Australia for 60 runs in 18.3 overs. Later, England batted well. In their 1st innings, they scored 391 runs which took the game away from Australia. A hundred from Joe Root and a classy knock from Johnny Bairstow sealed the match for the hosts. Australia again struggled to bat in the 2nd innings and was bundled out for 253 runs. This gave the victory by an innings and 78 runs to England.
- England Vs New Zealand in 2018 at Auckland – This is the second time where England was bowled out under a session of first day’s play. This instance was in Auckland where the Kiwis bowled out England for just 58 runs in 20.4 overs. Boult and Southee were the destroyers from the Kiwi’s side. In the 1stinnings, the Kiwis batted well. Hundreds from Kane Williamson and Henry Nicholls saw them through to 427 runs. But England failed again with the bat. In the 2nd innings, they scored 320 runs which weren’t enough as New Zealand won the match by an innings and 49 runs.
- Bangladesh Vs West Indies in 2018 at North-South– The Windies had a terrific test match with the bat and ball. In the 1st innings, Bangladesh was bowled out for just 43 runs in 18.3 overs. Kemar Roach was the star. He took 5 wickets while Skipper Jason Holder took 2 and Miguel Cummins took 3. West Indies batted well and batted only once in this test match. The Windies scored a huge score of 406 runs which was too much for Bangladesh. In the second innings, The Tigers were bundled out for just 144 runs. Shannon Gabriel took 5 wickets while Skipper Jason Holder took 3 and Miguel Cummins took 2. West Indies won this contest by a huge margin of an innings and 290 runs.