Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla are the Indian Fashion Designers that symbolize opulence and elegance. Affectionately they were called ‘The Boys’ in fashion circuits who are the two contradistinct people who combined forces in 1986 to give India one of the most remarkable fashion houses.
Must Read: Major attractions in Abu Dhabi
Insights into the life and journey of the duo Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla:
- Abu Jani was born in Mumbai and its glamorous backdrop served as the beginning of his inspiration towards fashion.
- The upbringing of Abu Jani in his luxurious Bohra Muslim family which exposed him to the lifestyle and exclusive designer fashion of the glamorous high society of Mumbai, widening his vision with women couture in an era when being fashion designer itself was not a profession.
- Sandeep Khosla born in Kapurthala, Punjab and after completing his studies he joined his family leather business. He was very passionate about subtle dye patterns on cloth which he developed in his years with family business by specializing in dying techniques.
- Later he worked in garment exports and gained knowledge of fabrics, materials, and designs. He took a daring step and settled in Delhi to launch his label ‘Limelight’, however, in a brilliant stroke of fortuity he moved to Mumbai to work with Xerxes Bhathena, the same designer Abu Jani worked with.
- In 1986, the duo launched their Couture house and their flagship store in Mumbai became the top destination for upcoming designers to get a remarkable start in the fashion Industry.
- After gaining popularity in 90’s era soon they launched a diffusion label, ’ABU SANDEEP’ in 2007 and the first store was opened in Delhi and in 2011 the duo celebrated their 25 years of working together.
- Their Clients come from diverse backgrounds and most of them are business barons, cinematic legends, royalty, and politicians.
- The duo designed the costumes for the characters of the film ‘Veere Di Wedding’ in 2018 starring Kareena Kapoor, Swara Bhaskar, Shikha Talsania and Sonam Kapoor.
- They designed the outfit that Sonam Kapoor wore in her sangeet ceremony and also designed the costumes for the grand engagement of Akash Ambani and Shloka Mehta.
- They have won 3 awards for the Best Costume Designer for the film Devdas (2009), Awards of the International Indian Film Academy 2003, National Film Awards in 2003 and Zee Cine Awards 2003.
Recommended Reading: Interesting facts about Deepika Padukone
Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla’s fashion journey of 27 years have been captured in two volumes of coffee table book, ‘India Fantastique’.