Kishore Kumar – An immensely popular Indian playback singer, actor, lyricist, composer, producer, director, and screenwriter, Kishore Kumar is truly a legend. One of the finest and also one of the commercially most successful singers, Kishore Kumar has given some of the best songs like Mere MehboobQayamatHogi, Mere Sapno Ki Rani, Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna amongst many others.
- He was born as Abhas Kumar Ganguly on August 4, 1929, in Khandwa district of the Central Province of British India which is now Madhya Pradesh in a Bengali family. He was the youngest of his four siblings.
- Graduated from Christian College, Indore, Kishore Kumar had an inclination towards films and music since his young age. He was also a big fan of singer-actor K. L. Saigal, whom he considered his guru, and tried to emulate his singing style
- He made his acting debut in the movie Shikari (1946).
- He acted in some other movies also, but his first and foremost love remained singing.
- Music director Khemchand Prakash gave Kumar a chance to sing “Marne kiduayenkyonmangu” for the film Ziddi(1948). Though his brother, Ashok Kumar, wanted him to be an actor like he himself was.
- The golden period of Kumar was during the 1970s and 1980s when he sang for all the leading male actors of Bollywood.
- A very versatile and amazing singer, his yodeling songs are unmatched.
- He won eight Filmfare awards for Best Male Playback Singer, the highest anyone has ever got in that category.
- He married four times and had two sons from his wives Ruma and Leena Chandavarkar.
- He died of a heart attack on 13th October 1987 which happened to be the birthday of his elder brother. It was, by all means, a sad day for the entire nation.
- His songs are still popular with Bollywood music lovers and keep inspiring the new aspirants.
Recommended Reading: Kailash Satyarthi, founder of Bachpan Bachao Aandolan