The country lost its favourite, most inspiring and influential leader Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee on August 16, 2018. The nation was rocked with the news of demise of ex-Prime Minister and one of the finest politicians to have ever graced the country passing away at the age of 93. With lakhs of people around the country mourning his death, a huge procession from the BJP headquarters saw Prime Minister Narendra Modi, accompanied with a bunch of ministers, eminent personalities and a huge throng of crowd march to the cremation ground to lay rest to the great man with full state honours.
We at Tentaran pay homage to Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the great statesman who was a tower of Indian politics with his policies and leadership putting India on the world map and moving the country towards the rapid and iconic path of development. We celebrate his life as a politician, poet and writer and bring you some of the highest points from his personal and professional life that are sure to leave you amazed.
- Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee was born in Gwalior on December 25, 1924. His father, Krishna Bihari Vajpayee was a school teacher and poet, and his mother, Krishna Devi was a housewife.
- He attended the Saraswati Shishu Mandir as a child and later went to Victoria College for his graduation. He graduated in Hindi, English, and Sanskrit with flying colours. He went onto study at DAV College, Kanpur to complete his post-graduation where he earned his M.A. in Political science.
- Atal was a patriot from his younger years only and was highly involved in the cause of making the nation one of the greatest in the world. He accompanied a plethora of achievements in this quest of his and went onto guide the country on the path of development and glory. His first involvement in the nation’s cause was to be involved in the freedom movement as a journalist in his student years.
- He joined the Bharatiya Jana Sangh (BJS) in 1951 and elected as a member of Lok Sabha in 1957 for the first time from Balrampur owing to his extreme dedication and hard work for the community and country.
- He became the president of the Jana Sangh in 1968 which united with the Bharatiya Lok Dal and the Socialist Party to form the Janata Party in 1977. He took his first major charge in the government’s cabinet after the Janata Party won the general elections as the Minister of External Affairs.
- The founding member of BJP along with Lal Krishna Advani and Bhairon Singh Shekhawat in 1980, Atalji also became the party’s first president.
- His rise in Indian politics was meteoric and he became the country’s favourite in no time. Such was his aura that even opposition parties respected him and often visited him for advice on several issues. He became the Leader of the Opposition in Parliament in 1993 and in November 1995 he was declared as the Prime Ministerial candidate of BJP.
- He spearheaded the Pokhran tests in the country in 1998 which saw India emerge as a nuclear superpower, setting the country among the greatest, most powerful and advanced in the world.
- From 1999 to 2004, Vajpayee was the Prime Minister of the country to become the first non-Congress president to successfully complete a five-year term. The BJP led NDA under his leadership also became the first party to successfully complete their full term, restoring faith in the Indian democratic system and bringing the opposition parties and the concept of a coalition government to the forefront.
- He led India to a mammoth victory in the Kargil War which saw them crush their arch-rivals Pakistan. He was one of the masterminds of Operation Vijay which saw Pakistan surrender and withdraw their troops from Kashmir.
- Atalji became the first person to give a speech in Hindi in the UN where he touched upon a magnitude of international issues.
These are only a few excerpts of all the lifetime achievements of this rock pillar of Indian Politics Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee. He will never be forgotten for his humble persona, intellect, and courage. The nation will always miss you.