Here are some updates on #MeToo campaign India.
- The MeToo campaign has gained an unexpected momentum by spreading so far and wide and taking down the names of so many renown personalities.
- The Indian Filmmaker Vikas Bahl has filed defamation case claiming 10Cr over Anurag Kashyap and Vikramaditya Motwane.
- The Cine and TV Artistes’ Association (CINTAA) has formulated a special committee to deal with the #MeToo allegations and cases that have recently filed.
- The committee includes actors like Raveena Tandon, journalist Bharati Dubey, Amole Gupte, Renuka Shahane, three members of POSH at Workplace (Prevention of Sexual Harassment at the workplace).
The list of people being accused of the allegation is getting longer day by day, while many of the accused retorted by filing an FIR against the accusations and rather called some of them as false, for other it has been really tough to accept it and face the consequences or even fight it.
The recently #MeToo accused KWAN founder Shri Anirban Das Bhah tried to attempt suicide after it came to notice that he has been accused of sexual harassment. He was asked to step aside from his duties at KWAN immediately. He was rescued by the traffic Police of Vashi, Mumbai and was later on handed over to his family. The police said he was extremely upset and was denying all the allegations he was accused of.
Here are some updates on MeToo campaign and a list of accused people that came into limelight after the #MeToo movement triggered off:
- Nana Patekar was accused of sexual harassment by the former actress Tanushree Dutta that took place in the year 2008, on the sets of the film “Horn ‘OK’ Pleasss”.
- Media Personality Vinod Dua has been accused by Nishtha Jain for harassing her in the year 1989.
- Sajid Khan has been accused by three women, actor Rachel White, assistant director Saloni Chopra and a journalist, for sexually harassing them in the past.
- Subhash Ghai, a 73-year-old director has been accused by an anonymous woman.
- MJ Akbar has recently resigned from his post of minister of external affairs after he was accused of sexual harassment by many of his women colleagues. He has also taken legal actions against them by calling these accusations as ‘baseless and wild’.
- Vikas Bahl has also been accused of sexual harassment by a female employee of phantom films.
- Kailash Kher has also been accused of making sexual advances by female singers Sona Mohapatra and Varsha Singh Dhanoa.
- Alok Nath, 62-year-old actor has also been accused of sexual harassment by Indian actress Sandhya Mridul and of molesting and raping multiple times by TV writer, director and producer Vinta Nanda.
- Chetan Bhagat, a well- known Indian author was also accused of making certain advances a decade ago by writer Ira Trivedi.
- Another #MeToo accusation, this time it is Indian actress Kritika Sharma. She has filed a complaint against Casting Director Vicky Sidana. The incident of sexual assault and rape attempt (as stated by Kritika) took place in 2013. Since the case dates back to 2013, the police refused to file the FIR before an investigation is made. She then went to the Home Ministry and filed her complaint.
Making a sensation globally last year the #MeToo or #MeToo movement has not mellowed down as yet, rather there is a rapid increase in people opening about sexual harassment they have faced in lives. The term was first used by an African-American actress Tarana Burke, when she was told by a teenage girl about her sexual harassment and the actress replied with a ‘me too’. However, the term started to spread after the American Actress and liberal activist Alyssa Milano promoted it and help spread the use of hashtags after she accused American film producer Harvey Weinstein of Sexual Harassment.
The #MeToo movement aims to unite victims and help them gather the courage to speak about it if at any point in time they have been harassed, especially at workplaces. After the term spread so wide and rapid, many companies have tried to amend their rules especially regarding the women safety and also redesigned the pay scale, trying it make it equivalent for men and women both.
Must Read: India’s Top Five Business Women
After it was started by the western women, it gained immense popularity among the women of other countries as well, and India wasn’t left behind, where women from all walks of life participated in the #MeToo movement, huge participation came from the women in the film and entertainment industry, who came out and opened up about how they have been sexually assaulted in the past by some of the well-known names of the industry.
Here are some the original posts:
That’s what actress Tanushree Dutta has to say:
Actress Kangana has been very strong and courageous when it comes to being a feminist:
(Chief Justice Of Media) Arnab
Invited Hritik Roshan to his studio for damage control .When Tanushree accusing NaNa and Vivek of sexual harassment Arnab
gives first hearing to a Bollybimbo!#TRPraceTakesOverJournalism @republic pic.twitter.com/TOcUg0Y8sz
— Pradeep Banerjee (@AAJ_ki_Awaaz) October 6, 2018
Vinita Nanda also came forward and talked about harassment she faced because of Alok Nath. Here’s Vinita Nanda #MeToo post
Sandhya Mridul also became vocal about the harassment she had to face because of Alok Nath. Here’s Sandhya Mridul’s #MeToo post
— Sandhya Mridul (@sandymridul) October 10, 2018
Saloni Chopra also told her story of harassment at the hands of film producer Sajid Khan. Here’s Saloni Chopra’s #MeToo post.
I finally decided to share my story with you. Writing this was like re-living all that horrible past I’d chosen to let go of, but I knew if I don’t today, I may never. So here’s #metoo #MetooIndia https://t.co/brouTYIBC7
— Saloni Chopra (@redheadchopra) October 11, 2018
After Saloni, actress Rachel White also came out as to how she was harassed by Sajid Khan. Here’s Rachel White’s #MeToo post.
I said I was not comfortable meeting at home and to that he said “don’t worry I live with my mom and she’ll be around” I felt reassured and agreed. When I went to his house the maid directed me to his room and the drawing room was empty!! It was his bedroom
— Rachel White (@whitespeaking) October 11, 2018
I stood like an idiot in one corner of the bedroom wondering where to sit and he was on one side on the treadmill. I clearly rem this episode. When he saw me walk in he goes “pls come this side” all smiling . I walk up towards the treadmill . He was directly staring down at me
— Rachel White (@whitespeaking) October 11, 2018
A positive change that this movement brought is that it was not only women that became vocal about it, but many men also showed tremendous courage by accepting that they were assaulted too. Such revelations do provide strength and courage to the ones who silently bear and suffer such violations. Here’s Adhyayan Suman’s post.
A lot of people asking me to share my #metoo story..iam sorry but when I did that 2 years ago I was shamed and humiliated…my parents whom I love the most had to listen to some obscene things on National tv ..I was clearly told that a guy with a failed career doesn’t
— adhyayen suman (@AdhyayanSsuman) October 12, 2018
The movement has brought many positive changes. Many people have started sharing their ordeals. We hope that this would also work as a strong deterrent and women get a safer working environment, which they truly deserve.
For more details on #MeToo movement and related updates, like and subscribe to tentaran.com.