Do you know the significance of mangalsutra in a traditional Hindu wedding?
A traditional Hindu wedding includes many rites and rituals that can be carried over from weeks to months. Marriage is an important event in the life of two individuals and their respective families. The rites and rituals that are performed are supposed to bind the destiny of the two individuals. Some of the many important rituals include the Kanyadan, the seven vows, the sindhoor ceremony, tying mangalsutra and so on.
You can read about the Kanyadan here: significance of Kanyadan in traditional Hindu weddings
Let’s find out the significance of mangalsutra in a traditional Hindu wedding:
- In general, mangalsutra can be defined as ‘mangal’ which means auspicious and a ‘sutra’ means thread, hence making it an auspicious thread that locks the life of two souls.
- It is a holy thread that is put around the neck of the bride by the groom during the wedding ceremony.
- According to the Hindu Vedic religious belief, there are many symbols that symbolize being married for example women wearing the red vermillion or sindhoor on their forehead right at the beginning of their hairline. The red or green bangles, wearing toe rings etc.
- Traditionally there are supposed to be in total sixteen things i.e. ‘solah singaar’ that a woman should wear after she is married.
- The type of mangalsutra can differ from people to people, cultures to cultures, communities to communities, etc. Since India has diverse cultures, communities, tribes and races, the rituals and their significance can differ too.
- In the northern parts of India, the mangalsutra is a thread with black beads and a gold or diamond pendant.
- In the central and southern parts of the country, the black beads are paired with two drops or bead-like design as a pendant.
- In the older times, there used to be a thread that was dipped in turmeric paste that was used as mangalsutra. As turmeric and the yellow colour hold a great religious significance in Hinduism.
- With changes in times and lifestyles, brides like to experiment with the mangalsutra designs and you might come across a variety of Mangalsutras nowadays.
- The mangalsutra is a symbol of indicating your marital status; just like in the West they have a ring in the ring man of the left hand.
- However, there is still a great significance of mangalsutra in a traditional Hindu wedding and some married woman really like to flaunt their mangalsutras.
For more details on the significance of mangalsutra in a traditional Hindu wedding and related updates, like and subscribe to tentaran.com.