Things to know about Shani Jayanti. Shani Jayanti or Shani Amavasya is the day when Lord Shani was born. On this day, people fast to please Lord Shani with prayers and visit Shani temples, so that one can receive good luck and fortune. It is believed that the position of the Shani in the horoscope should be nice so that one can get the results of his hard work.
Things to know about Shani Jayanti
Who is Shani Dev?
Shani is called the God of justice. It is believed that Shani Dev gives good or bad results to a person, according to their actions. Shani Dev or Saturn (as he is referred to as per Astrology) is one of the most popular Hindu Gods who removes obstacles from a person’s life.
Shani Dev was born to Surya Dev (or The Sun God) and Goddess Chhaya (or Goddess Shade) on Vaishakh Vadya Chaturdasi Amavasya.
According to the astrology, Saturn is considered to be the God of Justice. It is believed that due to his strong gravitational force, our good and bad thoughts reach Saturn, which always gives us a good or bad result in return. Shani Dev is very kind and if you do not cheat anyone or do not do injustice to anyone, he will never make you sad.
How to worship Shani Dev?
To worship Shani Dev you will need to get up early and take bath. Then lay a black cloth on a wooden plank and place a statue of Shani Dev. Light a Diya of both pure ghee and oil. Offer panchagavya, panchamrut, perfume, a blue or black flower, Gulal, vermilion, Kumkum to Shani Dev. After that, chant Shanti Mantra and after that Satyam Maharaj’s Aarti should be read.
More Things to know about Shani Jayanti
Rituals of the day:
- On this day, Shani Shanti puja or havan should be done.
- The puja should be performed in Navgraha temples or any Shani temple.
- On this day, the idol at home or temple is cleaned with Ganga Jal, oil and water.
- The idol is offered a necklace of nine precious gems and puja is performed.
- Shani strotra or Shanti path should be read after puja to please Lord Shani so that there is no hindrance in one’s growth.
- It is believed that donating black clothes, black til (sesame), or mustard oil will help one to make their life hassle-free.
Keep these things in mind:
- One should not postpone the travel on this day.
- Donate food made in oil or clothes to the needy poor persons.
- Cow and dogs should also be fed with food made with oil.
- When looking at Shani’s statue or picture, one should not see his eyes.
- To worship Shani Dev, massage the oil on your body before bathing.
When is Shani Jayanti 2019?
Date – 3 June 2019
New Star Start – 16:39 PM (2 June 2019)
New Moon Date – 15:31 PM (June 3, 2019)