One of the most popular cities of Rajasthan, Udaipur is very well connected by all means. A distance between New Delhi to Udaipur is approx. 673 km. Best time to visit Udaipur is from October to March. This also being peak season, flights, trains, and hotels need to be booked much in advance.
Flight from New Delhi to Udaipur takes around one and a half hour. Udaipur airport, called The Maharana Pratap Airport is at a distance of 20 kilometers from the city. There are regular flights from all major cities of India – Delhi, Jaipur, Kolkata, and Mumbai. You can hire taxis and private cabs for traveling from the airport to the city which is easily available.
Udaipur is connected to all major metros and other big cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kota, Kolkata, Jaipur, and Indore. Most of the cities have daily trains to and from Udaipur. The train takes around 11-12 hours to reach Udaipur from New Delhi. Udaipur is also one of the places covered by the popular luxury train – Palace on Wheels. Don’t fall into the Delayed or Cancelled train scams.
Just like air and train, Udaipur is also connected to all major metros and some big cities including Delhi, Indore, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Kota and many others. Buses from Delhi takes about 13-14 hours to reach Udaipur. Hence, best is that you take a late evening bus to reach Udaipur early morning. You get the options of A/c, Non A/c, Deluxe, Volvo buses with sitting, half-sleeper and full sleeper seat options.
By Car/Self Drive
Some road lovers, do drive down to Udaipur. But remember it’s a long drive and may take you about 11-12 hours (almost the time a bus takes). You would need min 3-4 small breaks in between.
Some safety tips
- Beware of pickpockets while you are in the train, railway station, even or even at the stoppage points of your journey.
- Concealed money belts are advisable to keep your valuables safe.
- Wear dresses that cover you moderately.
- Do not wear expensive shoes to temples as they need to be taken out before entering and there are chances of their getting stolen…haha experienced here.
- Save yourself from people offering you items, hotels and restaurants at cheaper rates.
- Do not venture out alone late at night.
- Avoid narrow and lonely alleys especially at night.
Recommended reading: Best places to visit in Udaipur