Ultimate Fighting Championship 229 match Highlights:
∙ Khabib and McGregor face off on Sunday, 7th October in the main event of UFC 229
∙ The fight starts at 7:30 am IST on Sony ESPN/HD
∙ The two will contest for the lightweight title
Coming back to Ultimate Fighting Championship 229, Intense press-conferences and a tense history between the two make for perfect ingredients to give us the fight of the year come Sunday when Connor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov square off against each other in UFC 229. USA will host two of the feistiest fighters in the MMA tomorrow in the main event with McGregor and Khabib fighting it out for the lightweight title.
The tensions between McGregor and Khabib have been stirring since almost a year now. Dating back to last year when McGregor had stormed Khabib’s fight, throwing a chair at his bus to leave him injured and out of his fight that day, the rivalry between the two has only increased. Receiving flank for his erratic behavior that day, McGregor was arrested by the USA police before being eventually released on bail.
McGregor’s antics that day ended up not only creating a great rift between him and the UFC but also tarnishing his image greatly in the world of MMA. Stripped of his lightweight title due to inactivity in the ring, McGregor was left fuming, living in the shadow of the undefeated Khabib who currently holds the lightweight title.
That is why when the UFC announced that Khabib and McGregor will be taking on each other in UFC 229 come October 7, the world stood up and took attention. It was going to be a fight of the ages, one between two fighters who just cannot stand the sight of each-others, something that was apparent from the heated exchanges at the press-conferences held by the two.
Facing off for one last time yesterday before the fight at the weigh-in, Khabib and McGregor tried their best to rattle each other. However, these are all shenanigans, something the UFC indulges in to sell their fights. The true mettle of each fighter will be known come to the main event of the UFC tomorrow.
Going into the fight, the Russian Khabib clearly holds the edge. The Russian is undefeated in all his 26 fights till date, finishing off opponents with his lethal blows and deadly knockdowns. While it is tough to predict a winner, one thing is for sure. The fight is going to be an entertaining one. One that will leave us on the edge of our seats.
Here’s how the career records of the two martial artists look like:
- Khabib Nurmagomedov (26-0 MMA, 10-0 UFC): Winning 26 of 26 fights, including 8 KOs and 8 submissions.
- Conor McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC): Winning 21 fights from 24, including 18 KOs.
Here’s how the full match card for UFC 229 looks like:
Early Preliminary Card
- Women’s Bantamweight: Lina Länsberg vs Yana Kunitskaya
- Lightweight: Gray Maynard vs Nik Lentz
- Welterweight: Ryan LaFlare vs Tony Martin
- Flyweight: Sergio Pettis vs Jussier Formiga
- Welterweight: Vicente Luque vs Jalin Turner
- Women’s Bantamweight: Aspen Ladd vs Tonya Evinger
- Lightweight: Scott Holtzman vs Alan Patrick
- Lightweight: Khabib Nurmagomedov (c) vs Conor McGregor
- Lightweight: Tony Ferguson vs Anthony Pettis
- Light Heavyweight: Ovince Saint Preux vs Dominick Reyes
- Heavyweight: Derrick Lewis vs Alexander Volkov
- Women’s Strawweight: Michelle Waterson vs Felice Herrig
For more details on Ultimate Fighting Championship 229 and related updates, like and subscribe to tentaran.com.