We bring you some unknown facts about Kailash Kher, who we all know is an Indian film music composer and pop-rock based singer and his singing style is influenced by Indian folk music and Sufi music. He has sung in Hindi, Gujarati, Nepali, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Bengali, Odia and Urdu languages. His contribution to Indian music lies way beyond languages. He has sung more than 700 songs in movies. Kailash Kher is known for his unique and powerful voice, style and music. He has established himself as one of the most successful and popular playback singers of India.
1. He learnt from the classical musician Pandit Kumar Gandharva, Pandit HridaynathMangeshkar, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, and the Qawwali singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan by simply listening to their music because he couldn’t find the right place to learn from, but he still wanted to pursue his passion so he took the extra efforts.
2. He was awarded the Padma Shri award in 2017 by the Government of India. He received two trophies from Filmfare Awards for Best Male Playback Singer forFanaa (2006) and Telugu film Mirchi (2013), with several other nominations. He also won the Yash Bharti Award,2015 for excellence in folk and classical music and was the Nepal Tourism Year Goodwill Ambassador 2011.
3. Kailash became a popular singer after his song, “Allah KeBande” from the movie, ‘WaiseBhiHota Hai 2’.
4. He has decided that every year on his birthday, he will launch new talents/musicians. He has thought of nurturing Art and Music to save humanity and its passion. Last year he launched ‘Surfira’ and ‘Indie Roots’ naming the event “Nayi Udaan” and this year he plans to launch ‘AR Divine’ and ‘Sparsh’.
5. Kailash Kher has openly said that he gives all the credit to his audience for his energy levels in concerts because he believes that the energy and enthusiasm of the crowd bring out a certain magic in him and his band.
6. By 2014, he had sung in more than 20 Indian languages, including Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Oriya, Bengali, Sindhi, Bhojpuri, Gujarati, Marathi, Punjabi, Konkani, Rajasthani… for Indian films and more than 500 songs in the Hindi film industry and recorded more than one thousand radio and television advertising jingles.
Unknown facts about Kailash Kher
7. He moved to Mumbai in the year 2001 as he had a few friends in Mumbai who were connected to the film industry. His name was recommended to a musician, Ram Sampath, who was then looking for a different voice for a jingle for Nakshatra diamonds. Kher later reminisced the jingle as one which did not bring instant recognition but fetched him Rs.5000 which he needed desperately at that time “just to survive”.He continued by singing jingles for TV and radio commercials, receiving critical acclaim for his unique style of singing. Some of the brands that he sang commercials for are, Coca-Cola, Citibank, Pepsi, IPL and Honda Motor Cycles.
8. He lent his voice to the Clean India Mission theme song, ‘ Swachha Bharat Ka Irada Kar LiyaHumne’. Taking forward the Clean India Mission, Mr Kher visited several places in the PM’s parliamentary constituency drawing praise from Narendra Modi. Kailash was also invited by the PM to accompany him in his first USA tour, where they performed at the SAP centre community reception at the San Jose, California on 27 September’15. He also composed the song “Ambar TakYehi Naam Gunjega” for Anna Hazare anti-corruption movement, and sang it in Ramlila Maidan during Anna Hazare protest.
9. He has not only performed for South East Asia, but also for the Global Fest at New York’s Webster Hall, Kennedy Center (Washington, D.C.), Stern Grove Festival (San Francisco), Celebrate Brooklyn, Santa Monica Pier Festival (LA), Fillmore Center (San Francisco), Hollywood Bowl (LA), Hammersmith Apollo (London), Symphony Hall (Birmingham), Massey Hall (Toronto).
10. Kailash Kher’s marriage was an arranged marriage with Sheetal Bhan and now he has a son named, Kabir who was born in 2011.
unknown facts about kailash kher