Encounter specialist, Vijay Salaskar was one of the most feared encounter specialists in India credited for killing 83 criminals in encounters. A senior inspector in the Mumbai Police, Salaskar was one of the best cops to have graced the Mumbai police fleet. Filled with dynamic and efficient energy, Salaskar struck fear in the heart of underworld terrorists and was responsible for the downfall of the Arun Gawli gang. The Ashoka Chakra recipient was martyred in 2008 during the Mumbai attacks.
- Despite his immense talent, Salaskar was an extremely humble and down to earth man.Salaskar was shy and all smiles and was the last person one would have identified as being an encounter specialist.
- Joined the Mumbai Police as a sub-inspector after completing his M.Com.Made his first lethal encounter by shooting Raja Shahabuddin in the same year.
- He was part of the 1983 batch and rose to prominence in the mid- and late 1990s after he declared war on Mumbai’s underworld.
- He got an early posting in a sensitive branch and police station, which helped him develop informer networks and made him good at collating intelligence
- His preferred weapon was the .38 Tiger Titan revolver which he always carried in a leather pouch with him.
- He was fearless did not drink and smoke and hardly socialised with people.
- Salaskar shot dead around 80 known gangsters like Sadhu Shetty, Jaggu Shetty and Amar Naik. He played a major role in wiping off the Arun Gawli gang. Gawli was so scared of him that he even launched a complaint with the police that Salaskar might kill him in a fake encounter.
- Vijay Salaskar was among the 3 officers who were attacked by Terrorists outside the Cama & Albess Hospital, VT in the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai. He gave his life for the country during those attacks.
- He was conferred with the Ashoka Chakra in 2009 for his selfless service to the nation which helped clean crime in Mumbai.
Recommended Reading: Facts That You Must Know About Ashok Kamte