Often called as the run machine of Indian Cricket Team,ViratKohli currently plays as the captain of Indian cricket team. Born on 5th November, 1988 to PremKohli and SarojKohli in Delhi, he was ranked eighth in ESPN’s list of world’s most famous athletes in 2016 and is often listed amongst the best batsmen in the world.
- Born and brought up in Delhi, Kohli has represented Delhi’s team at various levels before finally making his debut in the Indian cricket team.
- His fascination for cricket was noticed by his parents since he was three years old. Knowing his potential, his parents enrolled him in West Delhi Cricket Academy when he was nine, and since then there was no looking back!
- It’s certainly visible when he plays that he has given his heart and soul to the game.
- His first major success came in 2008 when he captained India Under-19s to victory at the 2008 Under-19 World Cup. Soon he was selected to play for the Indian team and established himself as a valuable middle order player. He was the part of the squad that brought home 2011 world cup.
- Next, he made his test debut in the year 2011, and grabbed the title of “ODI specialist” by 2013 with Test hundreds in Australia and South Africa. He reached the number one spot in the ICC rankings for ODI batsmen for the first time in 2013.
- Kohli also found success in the Twenty20 format, winning the Man of the Tournament twice at the ICC World Twenty20 (in 2014 and 2016). In 2014, he became the top-ranked T20I batsman in the ICC rankings and holds the position, as of May 2017.
- ViratKohli has already added many feathers to his already crowded cap with his record breaking performances in every match that he plays.
He has been adorned with Arjuna Award in 2013, Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World Award in the year 2016 and has also been honored with Padma Shri in the year 2017.
Recommended Reading: Sachin Tendulkar: The God of Cricket