- Kohli was named cricketer of the year
- He also won the ICC ODI Cricketer of the year award
- He was named the captain of the test and ODI ICC XI
Skipper of the Indian team Virat Kohli wrapped up an astounding 2017 in style as he was bestowed with most of the top honors at the biggest cricketing awards. He dominated the global ICC awards to take home the Sir Garfield Sobers Cricketer of the year and ICC ODI Cricketer of the year award. Having led the Indian team to an extremely successful 2017 in which the lost no series in any format of the game, Kohli continued to notch up personal milestones as he spoke with the bat too. His contribution to the sport and excellent form which saw he rack up mindboggling numbers was awarded on Thursday when he was even named the captain of the ICC ODI and test XI.
“It is a huge honor for me as it is probably the biggest award we have in world cricket,” Kohli said. “Job satisfaction on the field is paramount, but international recognition by the ICC is something that every player feels privileged as it is at a global level and is something that is very special to all the cricketers because you are competing against the best international cricketers across the globe.”
- Kohli scored 2203 Test runs at 77.80 (eight 100s), 1818 ODI runs at 82.63 (seven 100s), and 299 T20I runs at a strike rate of 153.
- His current ODI average of 55,74 is the current highest among all the playing nations
- Has already scored 32 centuries in one days and now eyes Tendulkar’s record of 49 centuries
- Kohli became the fourth Indian after Rahul Dravid (2004), Sachin Tendulkar (2010) and Ravichandran Ashwin (2016) to win the Cricketer of the year award.
- This is the second time he won the ODI Player of the year award, having won it previously in 2017
- Australian captain Steve Smith was named the Test Player of the year for the second time in his career. He scored six centuries in eleven tests at an average of 77.
- Pakistan quick Hasan Ali was named the Emerging Cricketer of the Year and Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan was named Associate Cricketer of the Year.
ICC AWARD WINNERS FOR 2017
- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Year – Virat Kohli (India)
- ICC Men’s Test Cricketer of the Year – Steve Smith (Australia)
- ICC Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year – Virat Kohli (India)
- ICC Men’s Emerging Cricketer of the Year – Hasan Ali (Pakistan)
- ICC Men’s Associate Cricketer of the Year – Rashid Khan (Afghanistan)
- ICC Men’s T20I Performance of the Year – Yuzvendra Chahal (6-25 v England) (India)
- David Shepherd Trophy for ICC Umpire of the Year –Marais Erasmus
- ICC Spirit of Cricket – Anya Shrubsole (England)
- ICC Fans Moment of the Year – Pakistan stun India to win the ICC Champions Trophy 2017
Recommended Reading: Yuvraj Singh: A True Warrior Who Cheated Cancer To Conquer Cricket