Do you know ways to improve your interpersonal skills? Read below to know more.
Effective communication skills are always helpful and make you stand out. It is not only words that contribute to effective communication. Your interpersonal skills contribute almost 60% of your total communication. An ancient proverb “Actions speak louder than words” is an appropriate way to put it.
It is extremely important to be particular about your interpersonal skills. They are much beyond than solely the body language. Before we go further in detail, let’s understand what it means when we quote the term Interpersonal Skills, what contributes to it and the ways to improve your interpersonal skills.
Interpersonal skills include everything that is exchanged in communication from words to your expressions and also expressions that are not expressed. With these five methods given below, you can improve your interpersonal skills.
- Be an active listener: It is a polite gesture in any communication to listen to the speaker attentively and when you tend to get diverted you can try and use gestures like nodding or a verbal gesture to mark your attendance. Listening attentively is also a means to show respect to the speaker. Based on what you hear you can smartly respond to the requirement.
- Have a welcoming body language: When you are open to listening, empathize with people, encourage them and also appreciate them. People will then definitely like to be around you and be friends with you. In this way, you can also be a great influencer which can help you further to reach out to people and seek help from them whenever you are in need. We are sure people will be more than happy to help you in return if you have a welcoming body language.
- Keep your emotions in control: No one likes to be around with people who can’t keep their emotions in check, especially in case of negative emotions. There will be times when you are extremely angry and things around you trigger it even more, which can happen frequently in life and workplace. During those tough times, it is important to keep your emotions in check.
- Be empathetic: There are many times in life when people just need someone to listen to them and accept them. If you are someone who likes to get behind people’s eyeballs and see things the way they perceive them, then you are definitely someone who can provide people with solutions as per their need. This quality of yours will help create a welcoming environment around you. It is a win-win situation for both parties.
- Be an effective communicator: This is a very crucial aspect of your overall personality. An effective communicator is one who talks relevant and brings value to the table that others are not aware or thoughtful about. Try to communicate exactly what you want to convey without appearing impractical or overambitious. It means to be able to deliver honest feedback without being rude or sarcastic. It might take some time but once you develop the skill to be an effective communicator, there is no looking back and the career ladder will become easier for you to climb.
If you develop these interpersonal skills, then we are sure you are bound to make a tremendous improvement at your workplace and your life in total.
For more details on ways to improve your interpersonal skills and related updates, like and subscribe to tentaran.com.