Do you know about the aircraft and weapons used to execute airstrike on PoK?
The Airstrike carried out by the Indian Armed Forces was a successful mission to avenge the Pulwama attack (14th February 2019) and other terror attacks carried out by the Pakistani sponsored Jaish terrorists. It is reported that over 300 terrorists were killed in the pre-dawn air strike by IAF on February 26th 2019.
The Intelligence wing of Forces had gathered information that a new batch of terrorists will be assembling at Balakot for advanced training and had therefore identified this as a potential target. After deciding that an airstrike would be the best course of action, the Indian Air Force was given charge of the operation. To carry such a mission with perfection and precision, the Air Force needed a proper plan and the right set of aircraft and associated weapons. Read about the aircraft, bomb kit and other weapons used to execute airstrike on PoK:
Aircraft and Weapons used to execute airstrike on PoK
- MIRAGE 2000 (flew from Gwalior) – Multirole fighter jet built by Dassault Aviation, acquired in the 1980s, a predecessor to Rafale.
- GBU-12 Paveway Laser Guided Bomb- American- Built Precision Guidance Bomb Kit.
- Matra Magic Close Combat Missile- French Built Missile for possible PAK Air Force response during Mission.
- Litening POD- Laser designator & Targeting POD to acquire targets & Guide Precision Bomb.
- Netra Airborne Early Warning Jet (from Bhatinda)- Command & control from the air, vectoring the fighters towards targets.
- ILYUSHIN- 78M (flew from Agra)- Flight refuelling aircraft to refuel jets for longer endurance
- Heron Drone from secret airfield conducted real-time surveillance along Line of Control.
- There is a possibility that some other types of Missiles/Bombs could have been used. This speculation is owing to the fact that none of us knows exactly the distance from which the weapons were fired.
Indian Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale while addressing the Press conference on February 26th, 2019 at 11:30 am said: “Credible intelligence was received that Jaish-e-Mohammed was attempting another suicide terror attack in various parts of the country & fidayeen jihadis were being trained for this purpose.”
He added: “This facility in Balakot was headed by Maulana Yusuf Azhar alias Ustad Ghauri, brother in law of JeM Chief Masood Azhar…The selection of the target was also conditioned by our desire to avoid civilian casualty. It’s located in the deep forest on a hilltop.”