Why Fathers Day is celebrated – “One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.” – George Herbert
In 2022, the Father’s Day is on 19th June, Sunday.
Why Father’s Day is celebrated?
Father’s Day is celebrated all over the world to recognize the contribution of fathers and their hard work to make the lives of his children well. Father’s Day celebrates fatherhood, paternal bonds, and male parenting. Although it is celebrated on different dates worldwide, many countries observe this day on the third Sunday in June. In India, it is celebrated on the third Sunday in June.
History of why Fathers Day is celebrated?
- There are two stories related to the beginning of Father’s Day celebrations. Some believe that the first Father’s Day was celebrated on 19 June 1910 in Washington.
- A lady named Sonora Smart Dodd came up with the idea of honoring and celebrating Father’s Day. She thought that if a special day is being dedicated to mothers as Mother’s Day, fathers also equally deserve a day of praise.
- Sonora’s dad, William Smart was a veteran of the Civil War whose wife died while giving birth to their sixth child. He raised all his six children by himself. To show appreciation for all the hard work and love William gave to Sonora and her siblings, Sonora thought there should be a day to pay respect to him and other dads like him.
- She first suggested the date June 5th, the anniversary of her father’s death, but due to issues, the celebration in Spokane, Washington was deferred to the third Sunday in June. Since then Father’s Day is being celebrated on the 3rd Sunday of June every year.
- As per another story, the first Father’s Day celebration happened in Fairmont, West Virginia in America on July 5, 1908. A woman, Grace Golden Clayton suggested to the minister that Father’s Day should be celebrated after a deadly mine explosion killed 361 men.
- In 1966, Lyndon B. Johnson reserved the third Sunday of June as the official day to celebrate Father’s Day. However, during the Nixon administration until 1972, Father’s Day was officially recognized as a national holiday.
Father’s Day celebrations as a federal holiday – Why Fathers Day is celebrated
Father’s Day is not a federal holiday in most of the countries, except Thailand as it falls on the same day as their King’s Birthday, which is a public holiday. In other countries, Father’s Day is observed on Sunday, so public offices are anyways closed on this day.
Father’s Day celebrations in India – Why Fathers Day is celebrated
The concept of Father’s Day celebrations in India has gained popularity in the last few years. The children try to show their love and appreciation for whatever their fathers have been doing for them. From showering gifts as per their budget to getting bouquets and cards to take him out or cook a meal, children try to make this day special for their fathers.