Internationally, women’s day is observed on March 8. It stands as a collective effort to respect, empower and celebrate women progressing globally. Let’s try to comprehend the worthiness of women’s day celebration in India! Ask yourself these questions; do we agree that real celebration of Women’s Day is to empower them? Have we been celebrating women empowerment hypocritically?
With women’s day around the corner, all the Indian citizens must introspect about the plight of women in our country!
What does it mean to empower women?
- The trivialized genders like females in all spheres of life have been repressed by varied social norms. The need to empower them thus arose.
- In simple terms, women empowerment means making them self-supporting. They must not be discriminated as well as given equal rights and freedom to make decisions relating to their own life.’ Women Empowerment’ has become the latest buzzword in virtue of the need to establish the progressive society.
How is the act of empowering women still a humbug in India?
- Women empowerment is a façade masking bona fide condition of women in our country. In urban areas, a steady increase in the number of working women has been observed which is a semblance of reality about women. Women are molested, gang-raped and threatened in broad daylight. In work sphere, they are often subjected to harassment and exploitation.
- Women in rural parts of India face worse conditions. It appears like women’s day celebration is a mockery of exploitation faced by women in non-metropolitan cities. The so-called ‘emancipation of women’ should not be limited to processions and kitty parties held by people in urban areas like Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, and Chennai. We ought to scrutinize the doleful working conditions of women in small towns and villages.
- The success and liberation of only a small section of the women community do not provide us with the reason to rejoice and celebrate. There is still a long journey ahead of us for we have to work towards uplifting a large section of women who have been neglected so far. This journey towards a better and brighter future for women will be incomplete without them.
Recommended Reading: THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY