The stylish southpaw from Chandigarh, Yuvraj Singh is one of the finest batsmen to have worn the Indian jersey. Famous for his stylish and aggressive brand of cricket, Yuvraj was an equally effective bowler having spun India to victory on many occasions making him an effective all-rounder in the team. Despite being diagnosed with cancer during his career, Yuvraj fought it to claw back into the National team and win many more achievements.
Yuvraj Singh Career and achievements
- Despite breaking records in cricket, Yuvraj was a gold medallist skater in the U14 category and preferred sports like hockey and football in his youth.
- Was diagnosed with a rare germ cell cancer between his lungs which he successfully battled to overcome and make a comeback to the cricketing foray. Today he started an initiative called YOUWECAN to help cancer patients in their fight.
- Was signed as a brand ambassador for Xbox 360 by Microsoft for a video game which was launched in the Indian market in 2006. Codemasters also launched Yuvraj Singh International Cricket 2007 under the cricketer’s name.
Must Read: Indian celebrities who survived cancer
- Was awarded a Porsche 911 in 2007 and an Audi Q5 for his superb performances in the 2007 and 2011 World Cup.
- Smashes six sixes in one over against England in an international T20. He also scored the fastest T20 half-century off just 12 balls in that match.
- Only Indian cricketer to win three World Cups. Became Player of the Series in ICC U19 World Cup in 2000 and won the Player of the Series in the 2011 World Cup.
- Wears number 12 jersey as his birthday falls on the 12th day of the 12th month of the year which he considers to be a lucky number for himself.
- Won the Arjuna Award in 2011 and Padma Shri in 2014.
- His love for the film industry is well known. Yuvraj featured in Punjabi movies Mehndi Sajna Di and Putt Sardara Deas a child actor. He has also given his voice in a Bollywood animated film “Jumbo”.
Recommended Reading: Sourav Ganguly The Prince Of Bengal And Indian Cricket